In memoriam…

Nice collection, Bruce. Shame about Clu.

This raises the awkward question: Do you actually like Nightmare on Elm Street 2? :grimacing:

1 Like

:cry:

5 Likes

I really liked Clu. He was one of my favorite character actors from the 70’s RIP

2 Likes

It occurred to me earlier in the week that both Nichelle Nichols and David Warner were in the Batman: The Animated Series episode “Avatar”, which is arguably the goofiest, most atypical episode of the FOX run, and maybe the entire series.

3 Likes

On this sad occasion, I propose that instead of the customary minute of silence, we all share two and a half minutes of pure pop music gold.

RIP, Ms. Durham.

3 Likes

Yes. Yes I do. Surveying it and sizing it on what it wishes to be, Nightmare 2 (1985) is an above average genre movie of its era. Mark Patton is an All-American Boy, Kim Myers is shockingly dignified and relatable, Robert Rustler is jocular and sympathetic, Clu Gulager captures self-involvement taken to the next level. It can be said 2 is on autopilot and runs off the Wes Craven plantation of Nightmare (1984) lore deliberately. Jack Sholder’s flair in the early to mid-80s and innate conviction in conflict affords this a romanticism of decay and stylishness of understatement imparting it a thrust of suffocation. Formula exists but is subverted by detours and veering to the psychological not convention. Further familarity enhances its attraction. Partly petty and partly primordial, the unsavory bent feeds the forward motion and the allure of the leads glows amidst the havoc and unpleasantness. It’s an Eighties Rebel Without A Cause (1955) wielding Reagan Years tropes and earnest in the No Escape of its scenario. It seems real to me as real as a New Line Cineama cash-in to A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) could be. It grows with the years as an example of then akin to Fright Night (1985) or Stand By Me (1986) just not as distinguished.

2 Likes

Goodbye, TC.

3 Likes

Two of the original Magnum quartet are down, leaving Tom Selleck and Larry Manetti.

3 Likes

One for the anime fans…

5 Likes
8 Likes

This would be great for Rifftrax. What a hot mess this was. RIP

2 Likes

I knew she had recurring breast cancer for a long time, but that’s still sad news.

4 Likes

Man this summer has just been rough, and the last couple of weeks especially so for celebrity losses. So many people I’ve admired since childhood are now gone.

2 Likes

Apart from a few things, like new MST3K episodes, this has seriously been an awful year.

1 Like

Could be worse. Could be 2019.

2 Likes

Or 2020.

2 Likes

I liked her early pop/country phase, I had the US release If You Love Me, Let Me Know (which was comprised of tracks from her first 3 LPs), I think I got it for my birthday or Christmas, and this was my favorite song…

and she was a pretty good songwriter too

and I liked her cover of Dylan by way of Harrison

Rest in peace, Olivia

7 Likes

For the world at large, aye. For me personally, this one has had a lot of issues. Granted, some upsides too, but some significant downsides. Can it be over now and we give the remaining months to 2023?

2 Likes

Are you sure 2023 would be any better?

3 Likes

It’s all downhill from here, folks.

3 Likes