Inconsistent Quoting in Replies

Okay, either I’m totally missing something or quoting in replies is off the rails. When responding directly to someone’s post, I hit reply, hit the quote button, and sometimes it quotes the whole thing, sometimes it refuses to quote the whole thing, and most recently, it just reads:

Blockquote

and quotes nothing.

What am I missing? (I am most often posting/replying from an iPhone.)

1 Like

Quote test. Quoting text then hitting reply (on a desktop)

Did it work?

I had a similar problem and someone suggested leaving out the last period so that the system would actually save the quote (I guess if you use the entire quote of the post above yours, the system thinks that’s silly and strips it out.)

1 Like

Quote test 2 (hitting reply then quoting the text)

Check, Check

1 Like

Are you using an app or browsing from the website?

1 Like

Just from experimentation there appear to be two ways to quote another post. Highlight the part you want to quote, then either click the Reply button under the post or if you wait a second a “Quote” link will appear right next to the highlighted text, and clicking that will open a reply with it quoted.

As far as I can tell, if you hit Reply first, the quote icon (this guy:) image
in the toolbar is just for formatting an HTML blockquote, and doesn’t have anything to do with actually quoting a post, except that it is (rather unfortunately, I think), given the exact same visual formatting as an actual quote from a post.

Don’t know if that helps :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Boom, that worked. Awesome. Weird that the quote button in the reply box really doesn’t do anything. :woman_shrugging:

Thanks much!

2 Likes

I browse on websites using my phone; I don’t like downloading apps if I can help it. The quoting works fine on the desktop but got loopy on the phone. Looks like I’ve got it now! :grin:

Thanks much!

2 Likes

It does work.

This is a blockquote

You can paste in text from elsewhere or use it to set off text separate from others. Basically the format is an angle bracket ‘>’ and a space in front of some text. When you use the button it fills in the word blockquote for you to replace with your text. It’s more useful when you highilight text to use, but it works on it’s own just like the other format buttons do.

2 Likes