Individual episodes that I own are listed as rentals

I own four individual episodes of MST3K in my VHX library, which I think were acquired via codes I got as a backer for the original season 11 Kickstarter. In My Video Fridge (which can be found by entering a screening bunker), these episodes are by default shown first in the list, even before the monthly vault picks. The Kingachrome containers have a little clock icon at the bottom and if you click for details, it also has the clock icon with a pop up hint that says “This is a rental. (Be kind rewind!)”

My guess is that I am seeing some UI intended for the future when it is possible to rent episodes for a limited time. And when that is possible, I think having these time limited episodes prioritized to be listed first makes very good sense.

But since in my case these are not rentals, this is a bug. The desired behavior would be for these to be sorted along with all the other episodes I own (through the various backer bundles).

3 Likes

Just got into the Gizmoplex and am seeing the same thing. The only two episodes that are listed as rentals for me are two that I purchased over the last few weeks. Everything else shows up as part of my collection, but the two I bought don’t sort with the rest and have the rental icon with them.

3 Likes

Yes I have owned episodes listed as rentals as well

3 Likes

Yup same for me as well. Owned shows as rental.

2 Likes

I can report this as well. So far, the only episode I have purchased on VHX was “Women of the Prehistoric Planet” and that also appears as a rental in my Video Fridge:

I would NOT trust a streaming service for owned episodes. They could go down or out of business. Better to have a physical or hard disk copy. This will tell you more. You Don’t Really Own the Digital Movies You Buy | Wirecutter

2 Likes

@Artthe1 I agree that many services which claim to let people “own” content are really just providing a license to that content, which is protected by DRM, and may revoke it at any time. Thankfully, the Gizmoplex is different! Any MST3K episode that you purchase is available to download in a DRM free format, so you really do own it in the traditional sense. This download functionality is still to be implemented on theater.gizmoplex.com, but it is working today on the MST3K skinned Vimeo/VHX OTT gizmoplex.com.

6 Likes

OK, well that sounds great. Not too many streamers say that. Yeah, I like the gizmoplex.

2 Likes

Can confirm this with me as well. I purchased Radar Secret Service from the app and it is listed as a rental in Virtual Theater.

2 Likes

I can’t say enough about how they’ve included a legitimate, DRM-free download option for these episodes. That alone sets the Gizmoplex apart from most streaming providers.

I think the “Riff” community operates very similarly, with both Rifftrax and The Mads offering DRM-free digital copies. But seeing MST3K do it is even cooler.