Insane Commercials

Some of the old commercials are a hoot, and provide references for classic MST3K riffs (Marvel The Mustang, Shake-A-Puddin, etc). Rifftrax has even thrown some in and riffed them in their live offerings. What are some of your favorites?

I’ll kick it off with this meta-commercial from Jeno’s Pizza Rolls, a company that was famous in the day for surreal ads. I give you the hostess with the mostess.

10 Likes

I didn’t watch it just now, but I’m guessing it’s the one that ends with “Who was that masked man?” It was very memorable.

Ah I see, it’s not the one I was thinking of.

2 Likes

No, but that’s an excellent Jeno’s one as well. As I say, they had it down as an art.

3 Likes

There’s one from around the same time with Ann Miller, when some company (Heinz?) was trying to establish a line of canned soup and she does a huge production number in the commercial. It has a good punch line.

4 Likes

Some attraction going on here…

6 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

Those Jeno’s ads were the work of the great Stan Freberg, who I would assume was an influence on Joel and all the MST3k gang. I think that’s Mr. Freberg’s voice saying the “start wearing cleaner blouses” line in the first ad you posted .

5 Likes

It’s a family game. I should really just relax. I’ve got marbles in my mouth.

6 Likes

Holy cats! That’s real!

2 Likes

Here’s the Ann Miller soup commercial I mentioned:

7 Likes

:notes: Have you tried the soup that’s good enough to eat? :notes:

5 Likes

Freberg was brilliant. He did so many things, but here’s a link to his excellent CBS Radio show from 1957 (I’m breaking the link so it displays better here):

https:// The Stan Freberg Show (CBS Radio) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

4 Likes

Featuring no actual Punk hits…

9 Likes

Wow! Featuring everything BUT punk!

Huey Lewis and Culture Club were nice touches.

I wonder if they have a BEATNIK version.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Wow, this album would make the head explode of any actual Punk. Even the couple bands that could have actually been categorized as Punk, they chose their totally non-punk songs.

2 Likes

Anyone who grew up in central Indiana in the '80s certainly had Don pop up while watching late night TV. Every commercial of his, including this one, ended with him chuckling and delivering his catch phrase.

4 Likes

I have fond memories of the Outpost dot com commercials (no MST3k jokes were made out of them, as far as I know):

3 Likes

Some robot parts (Crow’s original eyes, I believe):

5 Likes