International Puppet Show Thread

I had totally forgotten Eugene Levy was on Greg The Bunny.

4 Likes

Who will stand up for the Puppet-Americans?

4 Likes

My love for puppetry started at about age 4 with a local PBS show All Abord with Mr. Be, with his puppet friends Poncey the Lion and Troilus the Train-Loving Troll. There were a lot of puppet-enhanced shows on that station. I latched on to the Muppets when Sesame Street came on and started to make my own. I was so proud when I figured out how Ernie’s hands worked. Here’s some stuff: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjoZJgV3QI30GGViCRttpqtntVrc5IAZI

Little known fact: Childhood cartoon staple Beany and Cecil started out as a puppet show. There was also a tryout of Bullwinkle as a puppet.

2 Likes

ALRIGHT I’ll bite. Tell us about Why Gee Queue :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Besides MST3K and Farscape… Farscape counts, right? The Muppet Show shaped my childhood and likely helped shape my sense of humor in a way that made me love MST3K even more?

3 Likes

All of this.

I loved all the Jim Henson productions, but The Muppet Show was particularly special to me. Maybe it was The Muppet Show that put me on the path to loving MST3K like I did/do?

There are three pop cultural properties I love above all else, and that’s MST3K, Peanuts, and the Muppets.

6 Likes

Okay. takes deep breath There’s this teensy weensy hit of a puppet show that only aired in Japan, called… You Gotta Quintet, or Quintet (クインテット) for short. AW CRAP!!!

(somebody recorded the intro with an iPhone to avoid copyright claims from NHK)

So the premise of the show is that there’re 4 humanoid puppets named after musical words: Score (the cello player, and the oldest member), Aria (the violin player, and the only female member), Sharp (the trumpet player who has brown and yellow hair on both sides), and Flat (the clarinet player who kinda looks like a much friendlier Blue Meanie), and Akira (the piano player, and the only human member) who doesn’t talk at all. What they do is that they introduce music to kids in a much more entertaining way (take THAT, Baby Einstein, and Little Einsteins!!!). And near the end of the program, they play short interpretations of classical music, like Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, etc.

4 Likes

How is the title embarrassing! Haha and I’m guessing that’s what they’re saying in the theme song over and over, “You gotta quintet.” Though frankly I find it delightful :joy: And hey I loved Baby Einsteins! Though I’ll admit these puppets and this show look much more sophisticated hahaha

1 Like

EXACTLY.

And by embarrassing, there were moments when I saw the show on TV many years ago that I had to look away from. But then there were also times when I couldn’t look away at all.

1 Like
3 Likes

I occasionally watch reruns on Disney+. Much better show than it’s given credit for being. And the series finale is so dark.

8 Likes

Kirk Thatcher also worked on Dinosaurs.

He’s everywhere, he’s everywhere!

8 Likes

Yeah! I mean, who could ever say ‘no’ to Kirk Thatcher? I know us MSTies can’t, not even Muppet fans, either!

6 Likes

And while we’re on the subject of Henson TV shows-

6 Likes

Ooo! Yes to Fraggle Rock!

3 Likes
1 Like

I had forgotten about this YouTube series, which includes a familiar face: VERMIN: Episode 1 - YouTube

5 Likes

Trace. Beaulieu. THE. Original. Crow. T. Robot. And Dr. Clayton. Forrester. IN A WEB SERIES STARRING RATS?!

4 Likes

I helped Kickstart this and I also highly recommend it!

3 Likes

Those are pruppets, they don’t count.

1 Like