Is an updated Amazing Colossal Episode Guide possible?

The original Amazing Colossal Episode Guide book, though I haven’t gotten a copy of it myself, is a fun treasure trove of a recap of the series mixed with BTS insights from the crew, and the follow-up guides written to cover Seasons 7-10 that ended up online (from SciFi’s old website and later Satellite News’s own site) were a real treat to read as well. With as adored of a legacy it has, and with the MST3K world expanded with 3 new seasons worth to chronicle and reflect (and maybe even the movie too, as I dunno if that was ever properly covered), it feels like a no-brainer to go back and unite all the old guides with some fresh ones for the new era. Is that something Joel’s current crew could arrange someday, perhaps in eBook format if physical publishing options are limited?

13 Likes

That would be fun. I’ve never read the ACEG, but I did read the SciFi episode things on the Satellite News website.

5 Likes

Around when season 11 came out there was a press release about a bunch of MST3K merch, including a complete version of the ACEG, with a publisher even being named. After a year or so I emailed the publisher and they said they didn’t have any plans to publish it at that time.

Maybe if there’s a smaller Kickstarter for a future season a complete version (including seasons 11-13) could be a reward.

13 Likes

I, too, was excited by that announcement and disappointed when it seemed to just disappear

4 Likes

Other than a Kickstarted bonus or something like that I’m not sure a project like this would sell. There were 2 websites that I know of that had basically done summaries of every episode in a similar format as the ACEG. So when the info is already out there for free, I’m not sure how many buyers there will be.
But maybe Joel can find some way to make it happen.

4 Likes

Here they are.
Season 7: Amazing Colossal Episode Guide: Season Seven
Seasons 8-10: The Amazing Colossal Transplanted Sci-Fi Channel Episode Guide

4 Likes

Call it War of the Colossal Episode Guide.

5 Likes

I’d buy that! Or back it if Kickstartered!

3 Likes

Given that Joel had left the show when the episode guide was published, it would be nice if he could write some reminiscences about favorite episodes, maybe even have Jonah and the Alternaversal team do something similar, writing about the first episode they saw, etc

5 Likes

The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide was 50 feet tall!

5 Likes

Yes! If by feet you mean centimeters and by 50 you mean 23!

2 Likes

Do you know if it’s still in print? Or out and going for a nice penny?

1 Like

It’s been out of print for a long time. Amazon has used copies from $20-40 currently. Cover price on mine is $16.95, as a baseline.

6 Likes

I’d definitely plunk down some Actual Negotiable Currency for an updated version. The show’s not done yet but they could always cover seasons 14+ in future volumes. :smiley:

2 Likes

Back in the days when the only way I got to see episode was by local tape trading, I remember when I saw the solicitation in Previews for the Guide, and marked to order it immediately. I would get and read thru it multiple times.

It was that guide more than anything else that helped me to understand A) how much more there still was to find and watch and B) the time line for the episodes I had seen to better know what happened when.

3 Likes

Updating the old guides would be nice too.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have a guide for the current version of the show. I’d like to think it could sell well enough to be worth printing.

3 Likes

I wonder if the fact that season 8 was paid for by Sci-Fi, and seasons 9-10 by Satellite News means there are complications with being able to use that material?

3 Likes

A PDF of an Amazing Colossal Episode Guide Part II for seasons 7-10 is out there, and as far as I can tell it was written by the core MST3K people of that era.

1 Like

These are reprints of the entries written for SciFi.com (Seasons 8-10) and Satellite News (Season 7). All of these still reside at Satellite News, mst3kinfo.com, who secured the rights from SciFi and then commissioned entries for the missing season. Conveniently put into a PDF, I suppose so you can print them out and tuck them into your ACEG’s back cover.

5 Likes