Is Gizmonic Institute evil?

Does Gizmonic know about what Dr. Forrester was doing to Joel and Mike? Or is he keeping off the books? Same goes for Kinga.

4 Likes

Maybe. Even the burger joint related to the Institute might be pretty evil, too.

3 Likes

It can be evil to the current Mads. It’s waiting for the chance once the Synthias and Kinga battle for dominance…and Dr. Donna St. Phibes wins (she’s really a mole for the Institute)
Then, it’ll tell Emily and Jonah to keep riffing since it’s once a month and won’t interfere with their real jobs. After all, a buck’s a buck. I’m guessing they’re also giving Emily and Jonah secret help, too

1 Like

I bet Joel thinks that it isn’t evil.

3 Likes

In early episodes Dr. F and Dr. Erhardt seemed to be worried about being found out, so I think they weren’t following the mission of G.I.

4 Likes

Pretty much, and eventually left the institute to work from Deep 13.

2 Likes

I’ve always gotten an evil vibe off of them. If not evil, nefarious. Definitely nefarious.

2 Likes

I want to try the “Big G” burger!

3 Likes

Depends. How big is Gizmonic? I could see a huge bureaucratic organization having weird pockets where evil stuff could flourish. But if it has fewer than, say, a thousand employees, I’d say … evil.

That said, what do we think Gizmonic’s mission statement would be?

They seem like a pretty big organization. They have their own campus, at least one 7 story building, a church, an innocent looking office tower with no windows, a restaurant featuring mouth watering hamburger sandwiches… This is an organization that sure could house evil (perhaps in its bowels, somewhere conveniently located next to the atomic pile) but is it evil itself?? Probably not

Coldly indifferent maybe!

1 Like

Helping children through research and development.

2 Likes

Not to mention (at least) 13 sub-basements. I can’t think of any legitimate reasons for needing that many without some evil intentions.

1 Like

A door collection maybe?

Gizmonic Institute is a large company specializing in tech development. Everyone who works there, down to the janitor (Joel) is so creative that they invent things on a regular basis. This has led to the tradition of the “invention exchange” as a company greeting. Instead of just saying “hello,” you show each other your latest creations.

Dr. Forester and Dr. Erhardt hijacked a decommissioned satellite and then lied about what they were doing with it. Later, Frank and Dr. F continued lying about what they were doing until ultimately they were found out and fired. At that point, they retreated to Deep 13, an abandoned sub-sub level of Gizmonic Institute. (Some previous project by someone else at the Institute attempting to drill down to the Earth’s core, I believe for geothermal power.) Deep 13 gave them a place to live off the grid while simultaneously retaining access to Gizmonic resources to which they were not entitled. Ultimately, however, they were found out and had to detach the Umbilicus and allow the SOL to de-orbit. Mike gained manual control and was able to save them from crashing, but the SOL ended up drifting into deep space until it reached the end of the universe.

Now, one can ask how all this squares with Dr. F attending mad science conventions, applying for mad science certification (including having an official come to observe the experiment), getting pizza delivered to Deep 13, turning Deep 13 into a B&B, and so on, but we all know the answer to that: It’s just a show. (Unless you want to have fun coming up with creative solutions to all that. If that’s your thing, go for it, and don’t forget to share!)

So… No. Gizmonic itself is not evil. It’s just another giant tech corp. At no point has the experiment on the SOL been sanctioned. The entire time we see Dr. Forester at work, he’s embezzling from the company in order to run his own experiment.

4 Likes

Gizmonic Institute is friend to all children?

2 Likes

Funny thing, I actually had a tabletop campaign idea based around this concept: the players are janitors from another sector who heard …Johnson(?) had gone missing. Because I’d imagine the place is big enough that even if one person disappearing made the rounds, the details would get lost. (In particular, one running gag that I have in mind is that nobody actually remembers the name of the guy that got lost. Joel? No, can’t be; the boss disappearing would be all over the local news.)

And you have to remember that Joel was a janitor, a role that’s traditionally at the very bottom of the totem pole. The most that would get noticed is that one guy isn’t on the job any more and the place is slightly less clean.

Would they notice that the Mads are being suspicious? Maybe, but the operation is quite literally taken underground very quickly so I’d imagine most of the higher ups wouldn’t know what’s going on. Heck, maybe they just quit, banking on this experiment giving them ultimate power. Given Pearl’s behavior in the Sci-Fi seasons, that doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

So, no, not evil, just simply not aware enough to actually care.

Edit: I’d also imagine, being almost entirely comprised of tinkerers, that most employees have their heads pretty high up in the clouds.

1 Like

They also have a converted KFC.

2 Likes