Is there not a reasonable way to watch VHX content on your TV?

Yeah, I use a ten year old machine plugged into my network (although it worked pretty well wirelessly) and I occasionally add on a new hard-drive.

Wanton use of wonton is NOT permitted!

6 Likes

Don’t be such a crab Rangoon!

4 Likes

Can’t we just get beyond Rangoon!

YES! Nailed it!

4 Likes

We often try to get beyond Rangoon, but then 30mins later, we’re hungry for more…

3 Likes

I figured out the hard way this week that the only way to watch your VHX purchases on your TV its to either cast from your phone to your TV, or plug your computer or laptop directly into your TV and watch it that way.

Oh by the way if you try to navigate to vhx.tv it redirects you to some Vimeo sales page. I’ve opened a ticket with them about this so that they can redirect to the VHX library instead so we’ll see if they get that fixed. So for now you have to navigate directly to log in - Vimeo OTT

:v::gear::rocket:

3 Likes

VHX provides a means for distribution; they aren’t a distributor or content platform like Netflix or Disney+ or, more relevant here, Vimeo. The VHX domain lands in the right place, for people who are looking for a way to provide content to the masses. Once they are on-board, media is either available from the public side Vimeo OTT domain (the second link you provided) or a hand-rolled endpoint (like the Gizmoplex will be).

5 Likes

I have an Amazon Fire stick and have had no problem watching the episodes directly from the web browser.

2 Likes

This has probably already been said, but there is a VHX/Vimeo app on my Roku, and my account has the 18 episodes from the last Kickstarter and the 20 for this one. I can watch them on my TV easily.

3 Likes

THe VHX app for Roku and other platforms is no longer available. If you downloaded it before, you can still use it, but new users can not download it.

Their help center talks about it a bit: https://vimeoott.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026615193-Where-did-the-VHX-app-go-

I do think this thread has run its course, though - I started it looking for a temporary solution until the Gizmoplex launched and I think all options have been fully explored, including one that worked for me - downloading the episodes and putting them on my Plex server.

VHX is no longer supporting their app because they have a financial incentive to get the content owners to pay to have their own user facing front end on top of the VHX back end. The Criterion Channel is a notable example of a service that uses VHX in this way, and soon the Gizmoplex will do the same.

I hope that other people who shared my question were able to find answers in this thread like I was. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I just did some research and it’s possible to add “private” channels to your Roku. You have to log into your Roku account at https://my.roku.com. From the My Account page, click the “add channel with code” link. I did some research and the code “VHX” should get you the VHX channel. I can’t be 100% sure since I already have the VHX channel. Can someone please attempt this and see if it works for you?

3 Likes

I was going to make a joke about there being an UNREASONABLE way to watch VHX content on TV, but then I saw this, and I’m in awe.

Well done!

4 Likes

That does not work for me. The channel has not been added to my device.

I should have mentioned that it may take a while - like up to 24 hours - for the channel to show up if it works. Did you get an error, or did it just not work (yet)?

Just nothing when I clicked the link. I’m not working tomorrow, so I’ll check again in the morning.

When I tried adding it this way, it did not seem to do anything. No error, but also no apparent attempt to actually add VHX to my account, it basically just refreshed the page. So, I doubt that it worked, and will likely only work if you already had it added to your account.

Anyway, I have a couple of other options until the Gizmoplex is up and running. Even though they are not ideal options, they will do for now.

3 Likes

I’ve been able to cast the movies from my phone to my tv using my Chromecast. Directly inside of the Vimeo video player, it has a casting button. Works great!

1 Like

This is how I have been streaming it, and it works great! You can even close out of the browser window on your phone once it’s casted.

1 Like

To any who do not have a smart TV, but have a TV that has an HDMI port. Check out the Chromecast for your casting/streaming needs.

This is what I use for streaming my digital collection via VHX. It’s the best $50 I have spent.

2 Likes

Checked again a few minutes ago, but no VHX app on the device.

1 Like

Since VHX lets you download the video files, you can use something like Plex to stream them to your TV.

Also, if you have a Chromecast, VideoLan Media Player lets you stream video files to the Chromecast.

3 Likes