It's the NBC Mystery Movie!

Oh, Columbo was the end-all be-all, by far.

You STILL have series that are chasing after what Columbo did and can only manage to eat its dust.

6 Likes

It was actually before my time, but I’ve watched a lot of the various shows in reruns.

I always enjoyed-

With the KLUG-MAN!

5 Likes

Heh, before my time as well!

I caught Columbo in reruns and The Snoop Sisters on DVD.

And anyone who HASN’T seen Columbo needs to hop on that, and with the quickness.

8 Likes

Chief?

6 Likes

To bring this back to MST3K, I love that moment in City Limits where the NBC Mystery Movie references get out of hand and get on Joel’s nerves, culminating in this moment:

“Hey, it’s the Sunday Night Mystery Movie Gang! There’s Columbo, the Snoop Sisters, McCloud…”

“Would you cut that out?! ALVIN!”

You got the sense that they were going at those references HARD in the writers’ room and -had- to do that aversion therapy host segment at the beginning of the next episode, The Giant Gila Monster, to clamp down on that jazz (as they did with the donut/cop contract everyone signed at the end of Indestructible Man).

6 Likes

When you outlaw riffs, only riffs become outlaws…wait, does that sound right?

Let me come in again…

No one expects the Riffing Inquisition !

spanish fan GIF

6 Likes

I hope a parody from The Simpsons would be ok to add to this thread.

6 Likes

As long as you bring some comfy pillows, you brought some comfy pillows, didn’t you?

Dog Puppy GIF by TINDER

5 Likes

Sunday Night Mystery Movie?
NBC Mystery Movie?

I’ve heard it both ways.

6 Likes

“YOU HAVE NOT.”

7 Likes

From Daddy-O :

8 Likes

Love these posts! Wouldn’t Riding with Death qualify for the NBC Mystery Movie of the week?

6 Likes

judgemillslaneILLALLOWIT

6 Likes

Opti, you and Bruce are why I stay on this site! :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words, @Satoris720.

And we’re really glad to have you here on the site, brother - cheers!

5 Likes

“It’s the ABC Mystery Movie!”
“There is no ABC Mystery Movie.”
“Yeah, but you won’t let us say NBC Mystery Movie!”

8 Likes

More shows like this please.

Oh, and speaking of, if they rebooted with a completely different set of detectives, which actors would you love to see and what would the premise be?

I would love to see a Tom Atkins detective series with monsters but every episode it’s a MONSTER getting killed and he needs to figure out who did it.

Ke Huy Quan as a “detective” who is just really good at BSing his way to getting the criminal to reveal their hands whenever he is lacking for clues.

6 Likes

Would Tom Atkins make a good Jules de Grandin? I think I would like a modern/updated take on that occult detective. … Wait, the Wikipedia picture is 15 years old … Atkins is 87? That’s some deep, deep nostalgia there. :slightly_smiling_face:

The “wheel” format (rotating shows) would probably be an even harder sell these days. Maybe each show could be its own separate project grouped as related, like the Flanaverse or (I suppose) The Immortal Universe (Anne Rice books). Rian Johnson may be building his own detective 'verse, who knows?

FWIW One-third of all Columbo episodes appeared on the ABC Mystery Movie series.

4 Likes

“He’s better than a doctor! He’s a coroner!”

5 Likes

I was putting some culled books in a little library and this DVD set was in there

Epic episode!

4 Likes