I've never seen The Godfather. What iconic movie or TV show have you never seen?

Yes, it’s true. I’ve never seen any of the Godfather movies. I don’t get the references people make to them most of the time. I don’t know who Fredo is, but people on the Internet do like to reference him.

I’ve also never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies or any of the Halloween movies, although I somehow have seen most of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

I was born in June of 1977 and, because of that, my mother prides herself on never having seen Star Wars.

What have you never seen that everyone else seems to have watched?

10 Likes

Pretty much any rated R movie that is deemed classic, I’ve never seen…unless it was edited for television. :smiley: So stuff like Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, Alien, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Nope. Never seen them. I also hate horror movies so I make a concerted effort not to watch them.

And like Crow, I’ve never seen a Kurosawa film.

8 Likes

Never seen Avatar. I’m fine with that. I like the Disney World ride, though.

And because my TV viewing time is limited, I tend to veer away from shows featuring terrible things happening to people and/or terrible people doing terrible things to each other. So I have not seen such shows as The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Sopranos, etc. Not looking for so much stress in my entertainment, LOL!

10 Likes

Pretty much the same for me. I won’t watch anything just because it’s popular, so I never watched Lost, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Heroes, etc. If something doesn’t interest me, I’m not going to invest any of my time watching it. I also won’t watch/read something just because it’s a classic. I’d rather enjoy my entertainment than fit in with the cool kids or get some kind of pretentious street cred.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to watch cartoons because I enjoy them. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’ve never seen The Sound of Music. I’m not intentionally avoiding it or anything; I just have somehow never sat down and watched it. And I only saw Singin’ in the Rain for the first time earlier this year.

4 Likes

Come to think of it, I’ve never seen The Sound of Music either.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the first Godfather, but none of the sequels. Never saw Taxi Driver or many of Al Pachino’s movies really. I am not allowed to watch Apocalypse Now. (my father served in Vietnam and something about that movie really affected him.)

My husband and I went on an old movie kick several years ago and watched a bunch of the so-called “classics” (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc). I love The Sound of Music, but haven’t seen many other musicals such as South Pacific or The King and I)

I won’t watch horror/slasher movies so Scream, I Know What You Did, Cabin in the Woods, nope none of those, either.

2 Likes

Same here. (I’m working my way through the AFI’s Top 100 List right now.) It’s charming, helped by the ridiculousness of Gene Kelly. That dude rolled a natural 20 for charisma.

8 Likes

I love Singin’ in the Rain and really enjoyed showing it to my daughter, who is into the whole idea of silent movies switching to sound and the weird things that happened because of it.

4 Likes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Die Hard
Game of Thrones
Lost

2 Likes

Has she seen Modern Times yet? The silent movie that isn’t really a silent movie.

2 Likes

I think when she was younger, she watched the factory scenes. I’m not sure that she’s old enough to appreciate the rest yet.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad.

I manage to not see a lot of things. I think I’ve only ever seen one entire episode of Cheers. No reason, except that I tend to wander off.

4 Likes

Never saw Avengers movies, or Titanic, Gone With The Wind, nor Grease. I never got into slasher “horror” so none of those, really. But I can’t really rule out categories of any kind, because there are usually exceptions.

On TV it’s the same. Never watched Breaking Bad, ER, Seinfeld, Buffy, Sopranos, sitcoms in general, and of course, The Wire.

4 Likes

Titanic
Any Friday the 13th
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
The Wire

2 Likes

Uh… most of 'em. :person_shrugging: Even before they were called that, I never cared for Bucket Lists or “Top Ten Films You Must See Before You Die.” Probably because I don’t like being reminded that death is real. If I wanted to be handed assignments, I’d go try for a Masters degree or something.

4 Likes

Someone who bullied me a lot in my youth said he liked it. Protagonists are bullies. You do the math.

driving stanley kubrick GIF by Hollywood Suite

4 Likes

Any of the Marvel/DC movies and shows. Superhero stuff just doesn’t really interest me.

6 Likes

LOTR and the Princess Bride

6 Likes

Movie-wise?

Just popping in here to see if moviegique had posted. :wink:

Most of what I haven’t seen is simply because I’ve not found it yet.

And most of those that are on my wishlist, aren’t overly well known. Among the curiosities is S.O.S. Iceberg (1933), which stars Leni Riefenstahl - the only reason I mention it is that footage of Eskimos rushing off in it, was used in The Deadly Mantis.

The most well-known, maybe Super Fly (1972) - I’ve still never watched that. But I will.

TV-wise, there’s a whole lot of them. I don’t have a lot of patience with series, I don’t want to spend years with them, I don’t want all the padding you get in a convoluted story, I’d rather you get in, make your point, and wrap it up (which is what I get in most films).

So I’ve never seen and have no desire to see Breaking Bad, The Wire, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, The Sopranos, etc, etc.

Oh, and until recently, I thought “The Vanderpump Rules” was a fake, joke title MST made up for their sketch (“What’s a vander pump, and is it naughty? It sounds naughty” I thought, as I google-searched it)

4 Likes