I've never seen The Godfather. What iconic movie or TV show have you never seen?

I haven’t seen a lot of the classics, to be honest. MST3K is really the only TV show I go out of my way to watch at this point.

(Also, didn’t we have a thread like this called “Who Hasn’t Seen The Wire?”)

3 Likes

Yes, but that one was pretty TV specific and veered off into talking about all series across the board; this one is including film and is a bit narrower in discussing acknowledged “classic / iconic” entertainment.

Vernee Watson Reaction GIF by CBS

4 Likes

I watched at least three or four (non-consecutive) episodes of Buffy and didn’t get into any of them. I still respond with the cat-hiss when anyone starts rhapsodizing about it.

4 Likes

I was looking at the Oscar list and it’s amazing how many post-1990s Best Picture winners I haven’t seen. Most of them.

Something called CODA won 2021. Never even heard of it.

3 Likes

That sounds good enough to me!

3 Likes

Same. I never got Buffy, or the Joss Whedon worship in general.

5 Likes

TV:
Lost
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead

Movies:
Almost all horror/slasher flix from the last 30 years
The Fast and/or Furious franchise
Shawshank Redemption
Schindler’s List
Sohphie’s Choice
Epics like Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, and Braveheart

3 Likes

Part of me kind of wants to experience Steven Universe at some point.

3 Likes

Same. Never saw any of them.

3 Likes

I remember the first two as being competent Oscar bait with good performances. But I never felt any need to go back to them. Doubt I’ll ever watch Braveheart because Mel Gibson can [redact] my [redacted] forever, the bigoted old swine.

3 Likes

I just have no interest in a movie that, from what I’ve heard, completely mangles actual very interesting historical events to the point that it might as well not have claimed to be anything but pure fiction.

I do know the Scots didn’t paint themselves with woad since the Romans were fighting them.

2 Likes

This and the same with movies. I avoid gore, rated R+ violence, etc. That’s left me with a lot of classic movies/shows I haven’t seen and I’m okay with that. Give me happy escapism, please and thank you.

4 Likes

Whoa. Shots fired. Or should I say: “Shots” “fired”? :wink:

Psychopaths. Well, maybe the protagonist is a sociopath and his pals are all psychopaths.

I think Kubrick and McDowell both vocally regretted that movie and the author of the book at times disavowed authorship.

It’s a great movie but I would look askance at anyone who recommended it broadly. It’s a little like saying “You should watch I Spit On Your Grave! You like female empowerment, right?”

“It’s not for everyone.” :tm: Moviegique’s all-purpose review tagline.

:fist_right: :fist_left:

A real divergence began in the '90s—well, actually I think it started in the '60s, but it really took off in the '90s—to where the Academy Awards have become increasingly niche-y.

If the “epic” part is the problem, Chariots of Fire isn’t all that epic. It’s only a hair over two hours and it’s mostly a sports biopic. Beware that it is only marginally more historically accurate than Gandhi and Braveheart.

So, no Chariots of Fire for Squid, and no Amadeus or Richard III either, I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t think Amadeus involved people wearing makeup that was 1500 years out of date.

1 Like

If the makeup is the issue, I’m gonna hafta steer you away from all historical movies.

Amadeus is complete fiction but its costumes may be on-point.

2 Likes

I think it’s less the makeup and more the complete disregard for what actually happened over what looks cool. Squid wants historicity in his histories. If I understand correctly.

2 Likes

It’s not any makeup. Woad was a specific thing that ancient Britons wore, not late medieval Scots. It would be like a movie about George Washington where he spends the entire film in a toga. It makes no sense at all to anyone who understands the history.

4 Likes

Checking out Top 250 Movies - IMDb, the highest on that list which I haven’t seen is Schindler’s List. No desire to, either.

And I’ve got A Fish Called Wanda ready to fix a similar issue for my wife.

4 Likes

Ooh, I understand that. Schindler’s List may honestly be the greatest movie I’ve ever seen, but it is HARD to watch and I wouldn’t blame anyone for choosing to pass.

4 Likes

I saw it twice in the theaters when it came out and I don’t think I could sit through it again. I was made of stronger stuff back then too.

3 Likes