James Earl Jones! Kim Cattrall! Rae Dawn Chong! The Far Side Gallery! Your 4/22 OPEN THREAD for the TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AND COMPLETELY UNSANCTIONED Friday Night Rewatch of CITY LIMITS, tonight at 8PM ET / 5PM PT! Shhh!

citylimitsskullhelmet

Rent-a-Center Salieri invites one and all to the Super-Secret Absolutely-Unauthorized Unmistakably-Unofficial MST3K Friday Night Rewatch of City Limits!

Tonight’s rewatch is SO UNOFFICIAL…

[HOW UNOFFICIAL IS IT?]

It’s so unofficial that there won’t be a livestream set up for this one.

That’s right, we’re doing this all on our own here, completely independent of the-powers-that-be! The idea is that we’re all going to be watching our own copies of the episode (my source of choice will be the copy of City Limits in the Gizmoplex Vault).

Each of us will have to press Play on our copies as close to 8PM ET / 5PM PT as we can and hope that we’re all sorta kinda somewhat more-or-less on the same page, time-wise.

It’s gonna be more fun than remote-controlled toy airplanes, more stylish than the Clippers’ post-apocalyptic attire, and more entertaining than whatever Robby Benson is working on at his desk.

So, let’s start this off with a random question while we wait! If you could teach a college course or host a lecture on any one subject or topic (outside of MST3K), which subject or topic would you choose?

17 Likes

There is nothing wrong with your Gizmoplex account. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. Join us, won’t you?

8 Likes

We’re heading for…

outerlimits

7 Likes

Me, I’d like to lead a lecture on film. I’m not entirely sure which direction I’d go, but I have options: film noir, Westerns, the masters of the form (Bergman, Kurosawa, etc).

Or maybe something dealing with the novels of Elmore Leonard. God, I love those.

5 Likes

Emotional Intelligence. Hot garbage(1) mess that I am, you wouldn’t necessarily guess it, but I’m actually kinda credentialed in addition to having a lot of loud opinions about the American workplace and its toxic fear of feelings.

(1) -Trash? Too on the nose?

6 Likes

Interesting answer. With a focus like that, I’d want to take that course and/or sit in on that lecture.

Since you brought up a focus that isn’t tethered to something more/less tangible or concrete (like some form of media that can be analyzed/scrutinized and whatnot), I would also like to give a lecture on mental health issues and the stigmatization that unfortunately accompanies such conditions.

I’m not credentialed for such a subject matter, so it would be more of a “seen it, been there, done that, got the t-shirt” kinda thing.

4 Likes

Audrey Flack :paintbrush: :art: :apple: :zap:

http://www.audreyflack.com/photorealism

Not saying it’d be a very composed lecture. Mostly it’d just be me jumping up and down yelling, “THE COLORS!! LOOK AT THE DING-DANG COLORS!!!”

4 Likes

You say that as if that would be a BAD thing. People’s enthusiasms for their passions and interests is something fantastic to witness.

I’m unfamiliar with Audrey Flack’s work, but I’d venture to say that it would be a fun and involving lecture!

5 Likes

I can tell you what classes I have developed and taught for my college classes. The Julio-Claudian Emperors, classical mythology, the Greco-Persian wars, The Hero with a Thousand Faces (about ancient mythology, archetypes, and graphic novels), and American Civil War photography.

7 Likes

Very nifty stuff! With that variety of subject matter, I wouldn’t know where to begin! (I’d be leaning towards that archetypes course, though.)

3 Likes

What time do you want to come over and riff I, Claudius? I have wine.

7 Likes

IT’S SO BOSS :smiley:

One of the highlights of having an Acorn TV subscription! (Also, Lovejoy with Ian McShane.)

5 Likes

I’m already there! :smiley:

I love that series so much, and I used it in my Julio-Claudian class. It was so much fun to watch the series (they especially loved Patrick Stewart, and had never seen him in anything other than Star Trek) and then read the primary sources like Tacitus and Suetonius.

6 Likes

Patrick Stewart wearing a toupee of Shatnerian obviousness.

6 Likes

Isn’t that the title of the new Indiana Jones movie?

6 Likes

Indy searches for Shatner’s lost rug?

4 Likes

Anyway, I thought the new Indiana Jones movie was called Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Hip Replacement.

5 Likes

indianajonestoupee

I’ll camp out for tickets.

4 Likes

Geography. I’ve always been fascinated with flags, capitals and trivia surrounding countries around the world. I’d think I’d teach some of that!

7 Likes

OH HELL YES :smiley:

And not just for You Don’t Know Jack purposes!

3 Likes