Joe Don Baker is...Eischied?

Found this on YouTube:

Late-70s cop show starring Joe Don Baker as NYPD detective Earl Eischied (“eye-SHIED”). If you guessed he’s a police officer not afraid to bend the rules, you win…nothing, because that doesn’t even count as guessing.

Okay, so JDB plays a dumpy cop with a lax attitude toward SOP, big whoop. But his partner in this one-season wonder is none other than Alan Oppenheimer, who played the duplicitous inventor of Tripolodine from “Riding With Death.”

But that’s not all. This particular episode guest-stars Jim Backus from “Angel’s Revenge” AND a certain Joseph Sheen, who had not yet decided to go back to his given name of Estevez. The Rolaids in the thumbnail is representing one of the commercial breaks, although I’m sure Joe Don has chewed more than his fair share of them over the years.

(Also, uh, network TV was pretty blase about using the n-word on cop shows back then, so just something to be aware of.)

Enjoy, if you can!

10 Likes

Don’t they riff on Eischied in Mitchell? I swear I remember Crow saying it as JDB is creeping across the lawn.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s something like “Mr. 2-years-from-Eischied”.

6 Likes
3 Likes

And there’s that bit right before it goes to the host segment in which GPC talks with Mike where we see JDB in his car, and Crow goes, “Eischeid… Eischied…”

4 Likes

Also, I liked how the clip I watched confirmed that years before Hill Street Blues, it was mandatory to have an ongoing subplot about your divorced hero not spending a satisfactory amount of time with his kid, per the mom. (Who I think in this case was Joyce Van Patten. LOTS of familiar faces were around, though.)

2 Likes

Oh wow, that riff must have completely slid off my brain because I had no context for it until now!

That joke has Frank written all over it, I’d stake my life on it.

5 Likes

I agree that Frank is the likely culprit. If not him, then Trace.

6 Likes

That’s the one I was thinking of.

1 Like

6 Likes

I still think Jonah needs a Joe Don Baker experiment. #JDBJonah

2 Likes
1 Like

Susan Sarandon made a movie with JDB?

:open_mouth: