Joel riff every season..

I understand that Joel doesn’t want to continue to be a host, but wouldn’t it be great if he did one episode in every season going forward? That’d be in between 3 riffs this season and probably zero in future seasons-we get to see Joel periodically/Joel will only have one episode to deal with per season-everyone is happy.
Just an idea I had last night-please don’t everyone throw balls of crumpled paper at me.

9 Likes

It’s a nice idea, but Joel is in his 60s. He’s getting to retirement age. I don’t blame him if he’s done after this season. He deserves to really just relax.

8 Likes

It is a nice idea. I know how old Joel is. I don’t subscribe to the concept of retirement ages. I, also, do not blame him. I agree, he does deserve to relax. He can and will do whatever he wants to but it’d be great to be able to see him do one riff a year on MST3K. :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

I intend no slight to Joel, but I didn’t miss him after Mike got settled in back during S5, and I hadn’t missed his hosting in the revival seasons. I did enjoy his host ep this year, but his hosting no longer “defines” MST to me.

4 Likes

I never missed Joel when I was watching a different host…my introduction to MST3K was mainly during the Mike era although I’d see reruns of Joel and enjoyed them. Joel never ‘defined’ MST3K for me. I too enjoyed the season 13 Joel stuff and I’m saying that it would be cool to see an episode with him every season.

2 Likes

I think when Joel is hosting an episode, it’s an event. I think it gets eyeballs on the product due to the increased press and it would be great if it was a tradition. I wager that was a big reason why he was part of the first couple of tours, to say “Hey! What Jonah is doing is great. So pay attention to me for a second and then watch him.”

At the end of the day, I think of it like flavors of ice cream. No matter what flavor you get, it’s still ice cream and if it’s a classic flavor you only get so often, then you look forward to it.

But whatever he decides is best, I support. He has earned the right to do so.

5 Likes

You and I are like minds. Joel once or twice per season. It adds to the variety of the show and if more Kickstarting is necessary down the line the promise of him hosting will raise the total. He must retire eventually. A few more shows wouldn’t be bad. It’s his decision.

2 Likes

I’d love to see Joel come back every season! You talk about Joel getting older as though he’s going to shift into a lower gear, and I assure you, there is no lower gear.

I’m down for whatever Joel wants to do, and on nobody’s terms but his own.

If he wants to come back for an episode or two in Season 14, that’s cool. If he wants to sit on a beach chair somewhere in the Caribbean and sip on tropical drinks instead, basking in the sun AND in the knowledge that he created the best show ever, that’s also cool.

Whatever -he- wants.

4 Likes

Nobody’s talking about kidnapping the man and forcing him to create episodes.

1 Like

SIGH.

Puts away rope. Cancels rental van with no windows.

NOW you tell me. :smiley:

4 Likes

I didn’t realize that was an option :thinking:

2 Likes

Well now make up your mind! The rental company says I’m going to lose the deposit if we keep flip-flopping like this.

3 Likes

Ok, let’s do it!

3 Likes

Are…. we absolutely sure about that?

1 Like

Right???

1 Like

Yeah, that’s already been done. (La La La)

7 Likes

I figure it’s a matter of how much he’s willing to put himself forward. It’d be interesting, but it’d also stand pretty strongly as a gimmick, especially because it means less time for the new guys to shine.

2 Likes

I totally disagree. Everyone shines greatly already, but…I dunno-tack on an extra episode to the count so that there isn’t ‘less time’ for anyone?

2 Likes