Joel's Early Episode Intro Snacks?

Really Re-enjoying the early Season 1 episodes! Does anyone know the story behind Joel popping a ‘snack’ into his mouth at the end of the first 6 or so Host Introductions?

6 Likes

As someone who worked in a rat lab, I believe it’s the reward pellet for pressing the button. Such rewards were common in the Skinner boxes. The rats learned that pressing the levers in the box produced a reward, though once they were conditioned the reward became increasingly infrequent.

Just a side note, I wouldn’t do this work anymore. I have too much respect for animals, and rats are mad smart. So many of them found clever ways of beating the box.

12 Likes

They were quaaludes. That’s why he’s so sleepy.

3 Likes

Social media made us all part of the Skinner Dinner, alas.

“Hey, last time I posted I got those -likes-. Today, nothing. I better post another 10 times so I can get something for my trouble.”

:cheese: :mouse2:

9 Likes

Don’t you know you’re going to shock the monkey?

:zap: :monkey:

7 Likes

I thought the exercise wheel and rodent water bottle in The Movie were nice touches.

7 Likes

Better to push the button and get a snack; than to not and get a shock to the shammies.

5 Likes

This takes me back to the old days of Usenet and the old MST3K FAQ. If memory serves, it was a grape that the Mads gave him for pushing the commercial sign button, part of the idea that this was some kind of psychological experiment.

12 Likes

JoeC is correct, and beat me to the answer.

YOU HAVE EARNED AN ENEMY FOR LIFE, JOEC.

4 Likes

“Excellent!”
-Charles Montgomery Plantagenet Schicklgruber Burns

Very nice job and special thanks to SandyFrank, JoeC, & Chris_Combs! And really appreciate the joggle of Usenet!
apple ii 80s GIF

2 Likes