Jonah "Sweet Baby" Ray Appreciation Thread

Who’s the guy who took the helm of the SOL after the long MST3K drought? Who takes Kinga’s torment and still has a song in his heart? Who’s a big stack of buttery mancakes?

Let’s show some love for our lad!

Oh, and as for the thread title, it’s 'cause he’s both sweet and bold.

20 Likes

I always call him by his full name- Jonah Ray Rodrigues. And I make sure to pronounce Rodrigues as Spanish as possible. It just sounds cooler.

7 Likes

Jonah Ray Rodrigues is cool, and always has been.

5 Likes

I do the same, and with James Roday Rodriguez too.

It’s a good name!

5 Likes

Jonah is my favorite MST3K host, and I will defend this opinion with the strength of a thousand rabid squirrels. I pretty much love everything he’s done, and his wig game is ON POINT!

Squirrel Come At Me Bro GIF

11 Likes

Jonah’s got the loveable goofball host thing down pat, and I was really impressed hearing him talk about his directing duties during one of the live streams. It feels like he’s really got a sense of ownership and pride in the show (along with the rest of the crew), which is what you want with your franchise.

And is he bold? Listen, bud, he’s got MSTie in his blood.

11 Likes

Love me some Jonah! The Meltdown was always a must-watch as well.

As for his last name, just in case:

7 Likes

I don’t care. I’m pronouncing it ROD-REE-GWEZ anyway.

5 Likes

As in Chi-Chi, with the i’s pronounced EYE?

8 Likes

That’s one I’ve never heard before.

1 Like

Golfer. Fashion icon. Devo cover star.

Chi-Chi Rodriguez

7 Likes

Jonah is living my dream if I ever had a chance in Hell, Michigan, to be part of MST3K. The enthusiasm! The snark! The all-night coke jags in cheap motels! (Too far? Too far.)

My first intro to Jonah was via The Nerdist podcasts and I was impressed. My appreciation grew when I saw him in the 30th Anniversary Tour. I love that his test subject part has been both a continuation and a fresh take on the role of host. The chemistry he has with Baron and Hampton is chef’s kiss.

Jonah! Jonah! Jonah! (Did that make him appear on the Forum? I hope so!)

10 Likes

ChI-ChI Rodrigweez!

Unknown

One of the few WKRP riffs in MST3K. Seems like there would be more.

9 Likes

Crow did yell “BOOGER!” during the epic family photo shoot sketch.

Oh, and even though Jonah didn’t really go to High School in Trenton, I still like him. :angel:

9 Likes

And there’s a mention of Andy Travis in Pod People, but past that I can’t think of any. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few but not as many as I would have thought.

8 Likes

I want to say there’s a scene in a kaiju episode of MST3K where a building with a radio tower explodes and they riff “W…K…R…Peeeee!” as the building explodes. But I may be projecting.

3 Likes

I believe Rodrigues with an s is Portuguese while Rodriguez with a z is Spanish

Either way I choose to believe he is a distant ancestor of Bender B. Rodriguez

11 Likes

Well damn it, that makes it less fun for me to pronounce it in a very Spanish way with big rolling Rs. You’re all ruining it for me!

5 Likes

Soooorrrrryyyyyyy

4 Likes

Yes, I can see the affinity between Jonah and a Brazilian pastel. A big slab o’ comfort food in a yellow shell.

7 Likes