Jonah "Sweet Baby" Ray Appreciation Thread

8 Likes

the mask GIF

3 Likes

I’ve never seen Jonah is the same room with this bottle of condiment perfection:

I are SUSPICIOUS.

5 Likes

In all seriousness though, JRR’s another great host, a spiffy director, and great fun in the Livestreams too! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Jonah is a great guy and an excellent riffer!

The thing I like the most about him is he has this “Big Geek Energy”. His character is at his best when he is just gushing with praise for an impressive special effect, good acting, Japanese film directors and/or whatever he’s passionate about.

And yes, I admire the heck out of the fact he rocks the glasses! (Like me!)

9 Likes

And now I have a sudden craving for chocolate cigars. Weiiiiird… :chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

I like many things about the dewd, but am once again stoked he will be chatting with The Mads after their live riff tonight at 8pm est:

4 Likes
1 Like

He’s got nice taste in socks. I’ve seen them a lot.

12 Likes

Taste in socks isn’t appreciated nearly enough.

8 Likes

His choice in personal valets is clearly excellent.

4 Likes

While the iconic cry of “Movie Sign” is always yelled with gusto by an MST3K host, I feel that Jonah may go down in history as the only host who manages to actually shed palpable tears of agony at that moment. Ever since his Ronald McDonald host segment in Mac & Me, his “Movie Sign” has frequently reached that same fever pitch of unmitigated, terrified panic with undertones of despair, and I love it.

10 Likes

Eh, no offense but I don’t know any of you well enough to taste your socks. :o

4 Likes

I love Jonah as host, love the energy he brings to the show and his delivery. As I recently pondered my 10 favorite episodes of MST3K, i found a lot of Jonah episodes crossing my mind. He’s why I backed S13! Nothing but Big Appreciation for Sweet Baby Ray here!

8 Likes

Someone on Reddit today said Bill Hader was considered before Jonah. I am so glad Jonah won out on that one.

5 Likes

I think Bill Hader is a funny guy, but Jonah’s energy just fits MST3K so well. He named his stand-up album, “Hello Mr. Magic Plane Person, Hello.” 'Nuff said (also that album was hilarious. His “TJ Maxx” bit was my favorite).

4 Likes

All I know about Bill Hader is something about him always rubbed me the wrong way.

I would have found it super weird to have someone I already recognize as the test subject. I know Jonah has done stuff before but I’m glad he was new to me.

4 Likes

When I heard the announcement, I felt like, “Yeah, I get it.” I knew he was a fan, I had already heard him interact with Joel on The Nerdist podcast…I can see how it could be weird in some cases, but this one seemed fitting to me.

4 Likes

When I saw Jonah on the RiffTrax MST3K reunion live show, I knew they had made the right choice. He so clearly had inherited Joel’s comedy predilections.

7 Likes