Jonah's Relationship to the Bots

Cool grade school teacher the kids love…

2 Likes

I hope she’s capable of the occasional jab, though. Like in the grocery short. There’s a line about being attended “by silent robots.” She murmurs, “Must be nice” and they hear her. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m feeling this description the most. He’s the good-natured guy doing his best to entertain and work alongside the cool guys.

There are still moments where he educates, though, and those are some of the moments where he shines brightest. Those sketches always feel like a friend explaining some niche thing they happen to have a ton of knowledge about to me.

But, even the Mean Jonah bit fits this pretty well. He’s the friend who just feels lucky enough to be included that when you say, “Okay, you’ll be the announcer then.” He responds, “Yeah, that’s awesome!” Instead of saying, “But I want to be one of the awesome wrestlers!”

3 Likes

Like she said, Emily is going to be the cool Aunt. Will introduce them to John Hughes films, Duran Duran, give the occasional ‘oh just wait til you’re older’ speech (with more explanation), throw in Mix Tapes that define the bots’ memories of their childhood years, start calling them Twerp 1 and Twerp 2, sneak them into the PG-13 area of the Gizmoplex…

4 Likes

Jonah was introduced in 1101 as a bit of a wunderkind for Gizmonic, a very talented technician; he wasn’t Mike, the somewhat doofy average joe temp (though to be clear, Mike remains my favorite host). His social skills may be lacking, and Jonah himself has described the character as a kind of goofily enthusiastic arrested adolescent or kid and that very excitable energy definitely comes through in how he plays Jonah Heston - it’s a deliberate choice. But Jonah is no fool, particularly given the fact that he’s outsmarted the Mads not once but twice in two consecutive seasons.

Emily also seems very competent so far.

2 Likes

During a host segment during the Time Bubble Tour, Emily described herself to Crow as “the cool babysitter”

5 Likes

For me , Jonah is more the nerdy nice guy , jack of all trades type. I get the new guy at work bit, but there is always the element of just being a fan having immense fun as a host. Same for Emily as well. 4th wall broken mst3k. Maybe a fair assessment of the fan base, but that’s a thread of its own :blush:

1 Like

I like this particular description. Good use of the Mean Jonah host segment to support your description of Jonah as “the good-natured guy doing his best to entertain and work alongside the cool guys.”

Yeah, it’s like he acts in a Joel-esque vein to explain the way of the world while he tries to have a good time in a Mike-ish fashion…

2 Likes