Judgement Hat says respect the tent

Ok here’s a bit of discussion fuel for Herr Pants. A few moons ago, I posted the following meme in the appropriate meme place:

I maintain that this is not political, but it does convey disdain and poke fun at the smarts involved in deciding to eat horse dewormer to avoid covid.

There is certainly a contingent out there who would insist that this is political, since this idea arose among the supporters of a certain politician. In fact, they’re so zealous that they’ll go to the wall for it, medical advice, facts, and ahem horse sense be damned.

I also maintain that it’s funny, which is really the point of posting memes in the meme place. Funny is really the reason we’re all here anyway. And yeah, freaking out and overreacting at a perceived slight to the point of wearing clown noses is funny.

Before I decided to post that, should I have carefully considered the feelz of those who would take it as a political attack? Or those who maybe think eating horse paste is a by golly great idea for avoiding a non-horse-worm-related illness, no matter their politics? Or those that think the Willy Wonka character is just a snide jerk who dislikes children? Maybe people who hate purple?

1 Like

This is your brain trying to tell you that you should share it somewhere else on the Internet, not here.

2 Likes

The point you’re making is correct and I and probably most others agree with you, but it’s entirely political and I would say it doesn’t belong here.

2 Likes

Ok, see, I disagree, and I don’t take your comment as any sort of slight.

2 Likes

Is it really? There is zero empirical evidence for this.

1 Like

Not going to argue about evidence on matters of opinion (that this is political). Goodbye.

I’m not trying to argue with you, just trying to illustrate my point and facilitate more discussion. This doesn’t necessarily have to be about that meme.

This thread, political or not, is causing strife and that’s enough for me

Mods? What do you think?

2 Likes

Strife was not my intent, but I guess mischief managed anyway. NM, go about your day.

I agree that there is fact in here. Regardless of your political bearings, taking a veterinary medication without a prescription because some guy on the idiot box said it would work is pretty damned stupid. That isn’t politics, that is (used to be) common sense and is supported by tons of empirical and anecdotal evidence. Just because people of one political persuasion are doing something doesn’t mean it is political, even when it is being pushed by political figures.

However, posting this meme basically signals tacit approval of stupid people poisoning themselves. That’s a little rude. I’m sure many who lean right would see this as a political attack, because self-poisoning with ivermectin is very much in their lane. If someone told me they thought it’d be great if I choked because I was wearing a mask (totally a dumb example), I don’t want someone to say “good.”

Without agreeing or disagreeing on the meme itself, I agree with your general point. If we aren’t supposed to discuss politics but you are approaching a subject that someone might find political, tread lightly.

See, here’s the rub: you just said the point was correct. At that point it is not entirely political, and we are dealing in fact, not opinion. I’d argue that makes the subject fair game. Not fair game to say something mean, though.

1 Like

Yes please, let’s just flag this baby and stop discussing things that are important to people on this forum, like being insulted.

Seriously, you want to stifle this?

Please flag it, I’ll leave the forum.

Whatever we do, let’s just not communicate. That’s what this forum is about, not communicating, right?

Oh noes, a little strife. Help! Let’s get back to posting cat memes!

1 Like

Bring it.

I come here for MST3K, I dunno about you :thinking:

2 Likes

Cmon, don’t split, I think this discussion already goes further down a path toward something (?) productive than most on this subject.

2 Likes

I come here to talk to discuss. If I see people not acting in good faith, I talk about it.

Since when does mistie not = talk?

Fair! Wouldn’t we, then, be better off saying “don’t be intentionally rude” than “no politics,” since what’s political is so subjective?

2 Likes

See, this is a great example of people not even knowing that they’re being political.

You called it a “horse dewormer” and Pants seems to agree that it’s a veterinary medicine.

Yes, it’s used on animals. Also, it eliminated blindness (in humans) in areas of Nigeria where river blindness was an issue.

By framing it as a medicine for animals, you can laugh and point and say no human should take this, and that is indeed the point of it:

So when you say:

What on earth do you mean?

What if I’ve taken Ivermectin? Are you not trying to create strife in me by making fun of my medical choice?

How is your framing of a medicine used widely on humans for 35+ years as an vet medicine not political?

Strife was not my intent in contributing to this post. Yes, my intent when I posted that meme last Fall was to poke fun, which, as Pantalones has pointed out, was a bit rude.

As they say, “The poison is in the dose”. People were buying the horse dewormer, as it could be gotten without a prescription, but the dose for a horse is substantially larger than that for humans, thus people were actually poisoning themselves.

Of course the meme does not make that distinction, but is likely counting on the audience to already know that.

1 Like