Kelsey Appreciation Thread

I have seen a lot of talk about Kelsey’s Crow, and some complaining, but I haven’t seen a thread where we can just lavish praise on the ‘newcomer.’ I feel that, with all the brouhaha we should have a special place just to make her feel welcome. So c’mon, let’s get the welcome wagon started!

Timing is said to be the key to comedy, and Kelsey’s timing is top notch. I admit her Crow voice took me a few minutes to get into, but she brings the chaos from the get-go, so it was easy to roll with. As an actor she puts a lot of energy and enthusiasm into the role, adding more than a little extra mania to the usual sarcasm. I think her Crow seems most like Hampton’s, a bit more harsh and in-your-face than previous iterations. Those are just initial impressions, and I’m really looking forward to seeing/ hearing more!

46 Likes

From the after-show, I can see that Kelsey brings a lot of that weird “theater people” energy to the table, and I dig that energy.

29 Likes

After the initial shock, I just relaxed. Now I grok her approach to Crow, and I’m really digging it.

17 Likes

Kelsey is a wonderful Crow. She has great timing and delivery, and she brings a whole lot of energy and enthusiasm to the post-show events as well. She’s an excellent addition to the cast!

27 Likes

I dig that energy as well. :+1:

Really enjoyed the riffs and how Kelsey delivers them to our ear holes. (Timing, energy, etc)

Looking forward to Team Emily’s next episode.

18 Likes

My favorite riff:

I drew this. See? That’s Forge. That’s Magento. And they’re fighting without shirts.

This is 100% because of @OneBradyLady’s read. And 50% of that is because of the extra pepper in the delivery of the word “shirts”.

17 Likes

“Two mari-huanas please!”

25 Likes

Kelsey is a gift to the universe and must be protected at all costs. :heart:

20 Likes

Kelsey did an amazing job and I can’t wait for more!

14 Likes

She absolutely nailed the delivery on that one! Had me in stitches.

14 Likes

Right? This KILLED me.

12 Likes

As I said elsewhere, each version of Crow on MST3K has a distinctive quality, and I love the manic whirlwind Trickster God energy Kelsey brings to her interpretation of Crow.

When Crow told Emily “Your soul’s gonna get crushed within seconds!”, I cackled. Crow’s my favorite character on the show, and I knew RIGHT THERE that Crow was in good hands. The theater segments only further reinforced that notion, as did Crow’s stint as the game show host for Milk & Honey.

tl;dr: Kelsey rocked it, can’t wait to see what else she’ll bring to her take on Crow.

Potential favorite Crow riff of the episode? “Dennis is about to get a kill screen in Donkey Kong!”

23 Likes

Uh, it’s “childlike narcissism,” THANK you.

10 Likes

Yes! It works on so many levels.

10 Likes

I absolutely LOVE Kelsey’s energy. You need energy for that nutty ‘bot, and she nails it.

It’s scary to think she’s only going to get better from here! :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

She deserves a million points simply for being the face (voice?) of sudden change to a core character among a passionate fandom and weathering the adjustment period.

Stick around, @OneBradyLady! Can’t wait to see how you and Crow merge into something MST3K fans can’t imagine the universe without!

17 Likes

Sometimes I’m still startled when I hear the first appearance of Corbett’s Crow. So if I say it takes me time to adjust to things no one should take it personally. :wink:

16 Likes

I enjoyed Kelsey’s take on Crow. I just slipped right into the riffs on the rewatch and it felt right.

Can we also give love to Emily and Conor and Yvonne in this thread? I feel like they should also get their well-deserved praise for nailing their first episode! After watching it again, I feel like they’re one team. Ooh. An opportunity for another collective noun! An ECKY of riffers? A YEAK?

18 Likes

May I politely suggest…

A “pearls of riffers”…

You read that in Manuel’s voice, didn’t you?

That’s how y’all know that I’m right. :wink:

Pearls

10 Likes

SAY “PEARLS” AGAIN! SAY “PEARLS” AGAIN, I DARE YOU, I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER-CRABBER, SAY “PEARLS” ONE MORE TIME!!!

12 Likes