Kentucky Derby

I’m a horse-racing fan three days a year: the days of the Triple Crown. Just over an hour ago when we were watching the Kentucky Derby events we saw the line-up for the race, which included a horse called Rich Strike which was not originally supposed to be in the race, but somebody got scratched from the roster yesterday so they put this fellow in. His odds at the gate were 80-1, and I said “Wow wouldn’t it be awesome if he won?” AND HE DID! By nearly a length! Second longest odds for a Derby winner ever! I was literally cheering in my kitchen!! Exciting stuff :laughing:

2 Likes

As I said in the general sports thread, I partly wanted Simplification to win so I could say at the finish, “This simplifies everything!”

I tend to approach the Derby by rooting for my favorite names of the horses rather than the odds (I don’t bet, of course). This year, there were a few I couldn’t resist:

Happy Jack - Who song
Zozo - sounds like a sci-fi space creature name
Summer Is Tomorrow - like a Phineas & Ferb slogan
Charge-It - Wilma & Betty’s shopping battle cry on The Flintstones (even has a musical accompaniment similar to the one for the Derby)

Then I root for a Triple Crown winner if the Derby horse wins the second one.

2 Likes

Summer is Tomorrow was also my favorite just cuz of the name. I wasn’t actually rooting for Rich Strike cuz I didn’t actually think he’d win! That made it fun :smile:

2 Likes

Actual true story, we were in a bar watching the Avs hockey games, and one of the servers is from Kentucky so there was one TV with the Derby. As the horses are lining up there is a screen with the various odds for each horse. I say to my husband, ooo Rich Streak is 80 to 1, that’s my horse …

Damn, I really should have put down a real bet.

2 Likes

A payout of $163 for a $2 bet…you could have struck it rich! (If you’ll pardon the pun :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes

After three straight years of winning money on the Derby, including two winners, I was due for a bust. I had two horses in the office pool (one $1 pool, one $5 pool), a main $25 bet, and a side $10 bet. Big fat goose egg.

The handful of times I have been to the track (I’m local to it), I’ve usually put down $2 on the longest shot to win, just as a fun what if, and if I hadn’t had so many active bets going, I probably would’ve continued that tradition yesterday. Derp.

Ah well! I personally know someone who put down $100 as a lark, and now they’ve promised to buy us a round at the next soccer game, so I guess I won after all?

And as for the race, hey, any horse on any day can achieve the impossible. That’s what makes it fun!

3 Likes

I went to the Kentucky Derby once. I didn’t win a single penny. But I also didn’t really pay attention and just focused on the mint juleps.

2 Likes

Please tell me you got the good juleps. The cheap ones are TERRIBLE.

And if you ever come back again, make sure you try a lily. That is the Oaks cocktail, and it is far superior.

2 Likes

We were in a restaurant at the track with a great view so I’m guessing they were the good ones. They were good enough for me anyway.

2 Likes

And let’s face it…drink enough of any cocktail, good or bad, and you’ll probably stop caring. :rofl:

3 Likes