Kids These Days

I’ve been parenting for over a whole decade now and yet my kids never cease to amaze me with how different their childhood is than mine was.

My younger one came to me this morning with a new plug-in small appliance and expressed her confusion why the cord would wouldn’t pull out of the bottom. I had to explain that not everything is rechargeable these days. :joy:

Join me in sharing the quirks of having had an analog childhood but raising kids in a digital age!

7 Likes

Not exactly the same thing, and this was a few years ago when I was still working at Publix (supermarket chain in the southeast for those that don’t know). Was working with someone who at the time was still in High School, he was bagging groceries and I was the cashier. Convo with a customer lead to us bringing up the original Star Wars movie. Without a hint of irony or joking in his voice, he asked “was that in black and white?”.

…if I wasn’t working I would have smacked that kid upside the head for that one.

10 Likes

I think that totally counts for the purposes of this thread. Anything that makes you want to
:woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

I have no kids (though I have 11 freaking nieces and nephews, both blood and adopted), but I just have to be super grateful that I grew up in a time before social media.

PHEW!!

9 Likes

NO KIDDING!

4 Likes

Riding a bicycle used to be safe.

3 Likes

Damn whipper snappers always thinking they know everything…
When I was a boy, I had to walk 15 miles in the snow fighting off dinosaurs :t_rex: with sticks and stones to and from school!

6 Likes

We had pay tv wars back in my day! Try not having Starz back in the 90s on cable. No Universal movies on HBO or Showtime back then.

3 Likes

Right? We didn’t have any of those fancy channels for a looooong time. I watched a ton of Nick at Nite instead. I’m well versed in classic sitcoms from my parents’ youth. My kids, however, run to one of the other three TVs when we put on “something old”.

5 Likes

The kid doesn’t understand how I can play Circus Atari and actually enjoy it. It takes serious hand eye coordination skills dang it!

6 Likes

I teach college students and I’m officially old enough that I am double most of my students’ ages. Today, we were talking about music in my physics class and while they were making their own musical instruments out of random materials (yeah, that’s how I do 101 physics labs :smiley: ), students naturally were chatting about music. One of my students caught my attention as I was walking by and said, “Do you like Taylor Swift?”

I replied, “Some of her earlier stuff.” And I named a couple of her early hits.

He said, “Oh, the really old songs.”

I said, “I can’t get used to people thinking that Taylor Swift is old enough to have really old stuff.”

I had to look it up, but Taylor Swift’s first big hit was in 2006. Yes, for some of my students, 2006 qualifies as really old.

5 Likes

Although I’m no parent, I used to play in the backyard, watched some amazing shows on Disney Channel, NHK, and some others, AND I was one of the Gen Z kids who were around during YouTube’s early years. Oh, and my parents used to circulate the tapes for me with many recorded NHK shows as well!
But now?
A buncha low quality kids channels ruined the platform, and everything else doesn’t make sense to me no more.

3 Likes

and one of the kids whose mom exploited him for money got a show on Nickelodeon

4 Likes

I went into my 12yo’s room this afternoon and found a tape sitting on his bookshelf surrounded by knickknacks. I didn’t recognize the title, so I picked it up and asked, “What is this?”

He looked at me and said, “Oh, that’s a VHS tape. I bought it at the thrift store with mom because I’d never held one and thought it was weird. There’s a movie on it.”

:angry:

Edit: He said he’d never held one, not never seen one.

8 Likes

You can still buy blank cassette tapes at Walmart.

4 Likes

Man, really?

I wonder who’s buying enough of those to make them worth the shelf real estate.

3 Likes

I don’t know, but I saw them dangling there, free as you please. You have to have someone come over with a key if you want a spindle of blank CDROM’s.

3 Likes

I still listen to cassettes… Back when I was in the Navy (1988-92), I recorded some morning radio shows when I was based in Charleston, SC. The shock-Jock named Michael D was really funny and I still listen to them in the evenings when I go to sleep. Over 30 years old and most of them still play great :open_mouth:

6 Likes

7 Likes

My 12-year-old daughter is pretty interested in old technology, so she knows a lot about it. However, I love videos like these-

4 Likes