Kids These Days

A few years ago, I worked for a a few months in a charity shop. One day, a twenty-ish customer brought a 35mm camera to me and asked how you got pictures from it onto a computer. When I explained the process of developing film etc., I don’t know if she believed me or not, but she looked utterly aghast.

6 Likes

Did you further blow her mind by telling her she couldn’t look at them inside the camera?

5 Likes

Or explain the hell of 110 cameras (and later APS), where since the viewfinder wasn’t through the lens, you could easily take a whole roll of your finger and never know until it’s developed. But at least you didn’t have to thread the film, I guess.

6 Likes

I studied abroad for a semester in 2001 and came back with 19 rolls of film. Only after the incredibly expensive development did I see how many subpar pictures I took. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

5 Likes

that is the nice thing about digital. You can see right away if you need to retake the shot, and there’s really no limit to the number of pictures you can take.

8 Likes

We went to a department store a few years ago and my wife left her phone at home. We got split up in the store and after a few minutes of looking for her I asked a girl working at one of the counters who couldn’t have been 20 yet to please page my wife to come find me and she looked at me like I was crazy.

She called the manager to make sure she was allowed to do that and when she did she said “(wife’s name) you left your phone at home and your husband is lost at the cash registers.”

6 Likes

Oh, man. That was our family camera. The one good thing about them was the sealed film roll with builtin spindles (i.e. you didn’t have to feed the film). The flash cubes were hilarious… you get 4 flashes and it auto-rotated

7 Likes

I know what you’re talking about, but mine (purchased 1988? or so) actually had a normal strobe flash and took two AAA batteries to power it. I remember aunts with older 110s having a supply of the flash cubes for birthdays and holidays though.

3 Likes

… oh… It could be interesting back in the 80s/90s too. Especially if you biked year round in places like MN.

2 Likes

I just said that, after a couple of days, you get your prints back from the processors. At this point, she started to look physically ill, so I spared her the whole section on slide, print and contact sheet options.

3 Likes

All you fancy people who had cable before going to college.

We had 5 channels most of the time, then 8(?) (most importantly ktma) after adding a second attic antenna…

:wink:

3 Likes

Purple Rain No GIF

2 Likes

[Just out of frame: clutch pedal)

10 Likes

A recent episode of my wife watching the grandkids. Emma is 3.

5 Likes

I used to take my 110 Minolta waterproof camera everywhere! Really should find those photos and scan them someday.

1 Like

My first car, a 1967 Dodge Dart, 4 door granny car had that bright light switch :smile:

4 Likes

Did it come with an eskimo spy as standard equipment?

3 Likes

Never heard that Rex Dart song.

2 Likes

So did my first, a bright orange ‘79 Pinto wagon. It didn’t dawn on me for a while that I drove an Illinois Nazi-mobile.

2 Likes

I’ve got you beat (although it’s less about the year and more about the rural location). We had 4 channels if we were lucky. Channel 6 was always hit and miss.

5 Likes