KTMA 0. The Green Slime (1968)

The 14 minute pilot of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Screened for the management of KTMA to persuade them to fund the show, it was long believed lost for years prior it to showing in its entirety at a MST3K Convention on October 3rd 2008. An assortment of host segments and theater scenes, The Green Slime (1968) introduces us to Joel, Crow, Beeper, and Gypsy and Crow is the only bot to speak English. Beeper beeps and Gypsy grunts. “Movie Sign” is first uttered in this episode. A Star Wars riff and Joel watching the titles were deleted from the final version. Joel, Crow and Beeper, Gypsy, Foam, TV Show. “Excuse me”, “You know, it’s interesting that this film was made the same year as 2001: A Space Odyssey”, “Speaking of that Number Two position.” “Sit down” or Clap your hands?

6 Likes

KTMA 0. The Green Slime (1968). Convention Intro and the Pilot.

3 Likes

Ah yes. The one that (truely) started it all: back when Joel was referred to by his real name and was the only one in the theater, the inside of the SOL was a bit blue-ish gray, Crow was wonky, GPC was a “he” and behaved more like a dinosaur, and Servo was originally Beeper complete with a fishbowl for a head.

4 Likes

Trailer of The Green Slime (1968).

John Landis on The Green Slime (1968).

Richard Delvy - The Green Slime.

1 Like

Toshiaki Tshushima’s score to The Green Slime (1968).

Radio Commercial of The Green Slime (1968).

I was unaware that “slime” is a collective noun. Huh.

1 Like

As a goop or mass, any s would be superfluous.

1 Like

This is one I wouldn’t mind seeing a full episode for. They should have Servo dress up like Beeper to complete the homage.

5 Likes

Agreed, I remember someone mentioned in the “Season 14 Movie Picks” thread that this could be another KTMA episode to revisit in Season 14+ and I could absolutely see it.

What’s there not to love? A legendary theme song, direction by one of the legends of Japanese genre film, cheese AND horror? It’s like if Alien was made on the sets of Moon Zero Two.

The SoL traveling through time may very well give us an opportunity for a Beeper cameo, which could make for some amazing host segments.

4 Likes

This is one where I want Joel to re-riff it. It would be a fitting final riff for his character. He never riffed it completely anyway. The film is insane enough and of the right mix it wouldn’t be a strain to tackle it.

2 Likes

It even has 80’s goth album cover Joel and Bots?Again, what’s there NOT to love??

2 Likes

True. It works.

1 Like

The Slime in All Their Glory.

1 Like

TV Spot for The Green Slime (1968).

1 Like

Dark Corners Review of The Green Slime (1968).

Review of The Green Slime (1968).

1 Like

Brandon’s Cult Movie Reviews - The Green Slime (1968).

1 Like