KTMA 11. Humanoid Woman (1981)

Grade Z Andrei Tarkovsky? Soviet Union, Science Fiction, slow pacing, long takes. Strange planet, mind powers, talking and more talking. Solaris (1972) reimagined by Sandy Frank? Memory loss, hero stranded, “That’s me in the corner!!!” “That’s me in the spotlight!!!” “Losing my religion!!!” “Trying to keep up with you!!!” “And I don’t know if I can do it!!!” “Oh, no, I’ve said too much!!!” “I haven’t said enough!!!” “Simply Irresistible!!!” or “It’s Unbelievable!!!”? Higher Ratings, Tag, Mr. Coffee, Salvador Dali, The Village People. “Czechoslavkian Sandy Frank Movie?”, “So what else in new?”, “It’s like if Hitler were the Surgeon General, he’d look like that.” “Yay Sandy!” or “I know him”?

3 Likes

KTMA 11. Humanoid Woman (1981).

1 Like

Note: Originally titled Per Aspera Ad Astra and clocking at 148 minutes. Producer Sandy Frank gained the rights, excised nearly an hour, dubbed it, and renamed it Humanoid Woman for American audiences.

1 Like

Full Original Director’s Version of Per Aspera Ad Astra (1981).

Humanoid Woman - Flowers and Thunderstorm.

@optiMSTie KTMA certainly had a HEFTY infusion of Sandy Frank in their library. Has any of the Best Brains went into detail on first discovering these films in interviews? Their reaction and decision making it a running joke? They riffed what they had yet even in Season 0 Sandy Frank commands acknowledgement one would love to learn more about.

3 Likes

Sandy Frank’s feel for material is so strange. A book could be written on it.

Love love love this KTMA episode. It’s a downright fascinating movie that, I think, stands well enough on its own, and it wouldn’t break my heart to see MST3k revisit it in this new era.

3 Likes

No idea on that, but KTMA must have been OFF THE CHAIN with all of its Sandy Frank features!

3 Likes