KTMA 21. The Legend of the Dinosaurs (1977)

The Lock Ness Story? “Anyway it’s a dinosaur film and it’s without Doug McClure. It’s called Legend of the Dinosaurs.” “There’s just one thing I want to know. Is it a Sandy Frank film?” “YES!!!” “You know what I say. Never trust a man with two first names. Especially if the first one’s a woman’s.” Joel Is Dead Hoax, Wacky Sitcom, Model Lizard, Summer’s Coming. “To the Laaand of the Loooost!!!”, “She’s a drip”, “In the land of Dairy Queen, we treat you right.” “I’m not in Kansas anymore” or “I’m not even in Kyoto anymore”?

4 Likes

Trailer to The Legend of the Dinosaurs (1977).

English Export Trailer to The Legend of the Dinosaurs (1977).

Note: Also known as The Legend of the Dinosaurs And Monster Birds.

1 Like

VHS Preview of The Legend of the Dinosaurs (1977).

KTMA 21. The Legend of the Dinosaurs (1977).

1 Like

It’s getting a 1080p Blu-Ray release in November.

1 Like

Fascinating notch in the overall MST3K history. The last of the KTMA era, you can see that they now have a basic idea of what this is formalized. From the beginnings when they would rarely say anything (with Joel shushing the Bots if they got too talkative!) to this episode, which is a true full-on riff of the movie. They are ready for the next stage.

But, gah, this movie is so dark, graphic and unpleasant. It’s easy to see why they passed on this when they were reriffing Sandy Frank movies in Season Three.

3 Likes

Perhaps now Season 14 might re-riff it. A la Sumuru (1967)? It is a Sandy Frank Production.

1 Like

@amass79 Feeling on this one?

1 Like

Just so darn goofy. I wish they would re-riff it, along with the other Lost Sandy Frank Film, Humanoid Woman. That one felt like a CBS Children’s Film Festival film to me.

2 Likes

Someone elsewhere pointed out how there’s technically no dinosaurs in this movie.

2 Likes

If all of the creatures are either flying or swimming, then that is correct. The term “dinosaur” is specific to land-dwelling animals.

3 Likes

This may explain why this was originally called The Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds (1977).

1 Like

Good grief, I don’t know if I’ve actually seen this one. At a Sci Fi convention I picked up a bootleg collection of discs of all of Season 0. If it’s included maybe I just never got to it.

1 Like

The link to it on YouTube is earlier in the thread.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

The episode no one talks about! I think it may be the most obscure episode of them all (K03 notwithstanding).

1 Like

I know it would never happen, but it would be great if this was on Turkey Day this year. People would flip out

1 Like

It’s darn funny. My opinion. I second that! This would turn heads.