KTMA 5. Gamera (1965)

The only Black & White in KTMA. It was nearly reversed in Season 1. Gamera (1965) aka Gamera, the Giant Monster. Keyed by Hitchcock’s The Birds (1963) and Toho’s Godzilla series, Daiei head Masaichi Nagata combed properties seeking a monster. Flying home from the United States, Nagata had glimpses of a flying tortoise chasing his plane and an island shaped like a turtle. He passed the story on to his staff and tasked them to create something out of it. Scriptor Niisan Takahashi wrote a four page treatment titled A Fire-Eating Turtle Attacks Japan and Nagashi ordered a full screenplay. Gamera was initially Kamera tied to kame being the Japanese word for turtle. The name altered to Gamera due to Kamera sounding too close to the Japanese pronunciation for camera. The studio had low confidence in its success and cut its budget before Gamera went into filming. Upon release, it was a bigger hit than expected. Crowmas Tree, Servo As A Lawn Ornament, Gypsy Impersonates Godzilla, Fake, “Oh Tannenbot.” Christmas episode? “Not a very good place for a vacation”, “Uh-oh, you know what that means”, “That guy needs a speech teacher.” “Can I fix that tusk for you?” or “Very sharp”?

4 Likes

KTMA 5. Gamera (1965).

2 Likes

Gamera (1965). Full Film.

Brandon’s Cult Movie Reviews - Gamera (1965).

1 Like

Trailer of Gamera (1965).

1 Like

Up From The Depth Reviews - Gamera (1965).

It’s Just A Show 42. [MST3K K05. Gamera]

1 Like

I remember this being one of the most painful KTMA’s to get through. It’s just Joel in the theater by himself. There was a LOT of dead air between riffs in the early KTMA’s, and Joel being in the theater alone makes it more tedious. I guess his improv game wasn’t quite where it needed to be to make this work. Thankfully they all got better as the season progressed.

2 Likes

The arc of this season is experiment. Every single episode alters something. Joel eating popcorn, Joel storing popcorn in Servo, no Crow, no Servo, no Joel. Every idea was tried and that built a skeleton for the show. A Do or Don’t List if you will. One that persisted into Season 1 and 2 as the variations continued in multiple ways.

2 Likes

Freezing Crow into a Christmas Tree was a cool gag. Pun intended.

1 Like

A thought I had? Joel determining the experiments? “HUH?” Welcome to the early days of the program.

This is a Christmas show as well. Gamera (1965)? Christmas? Having Kenny running around and the Arctic setting at the beginning helps. The Black & White gives it that ageless feeling.

1 Like