Let's Make an Episode!

Some people just operate on a higher creative level. Me? I like spreadsheets. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s the sense I got too after relaxing and looking/reading again. Useful stuff, relaxing. :grin:

3 Likes

I got that impression, too. Really, it’s only my host segment 2 (the tie-in to the movie) which wouldn’t be transferable to another movie.

Speaking of which, I’m struggling with an idea for an end-of-movie rant that carries over into host segment 4. I know the characters are credited as “Prof. Millard Wyman” and “Dr. J.R. Matheny”, but I don’t think I ever hear those titles used in the movie. They are all “mister”, and everyone is okay with that. Can anyone point out if I’m wrong here?

The host segment 4 is going to involve Crow producing oodles of PhDs for himself, so he will be a “doctor” and respected. This culminates in a call from the Mads (to Dumb & Dumber & Dumbest), and Crow defending himself: “That’s Doctor Dumb” to you. (That’s all so far!)

1 Like

Not me. I think keep them in the same voting system, otherwise you are rewarding exclusivity. They either hit, and get a comprehensive report, or the miss, and get no vote or maybe a bronze if the repartee is still good enough. Hey, I still like it when Tom Servo rattles off names I’ve never heard of, so long as the context is still clear.

Maybe not in the database (they want to Keep It Simple, Sir), but I agree we should definitely go through the semi-final script with an eye to any references. Just like The Annotated MST - Episode List.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting we set anything in stone or set fixed deadlines. Just a rough approximation of how long I figure each step will probably take. I’d rather have a script that takes twice as long that actually feels complete, than one that’s rushed and is full of holes.

My main point was that we need to begin by freestyling where everybody runs around like crazy tossing anything they can think of into the pot, then once it starts looking full, do some draft script review and voting to lock down the parts that everyone seems to agree are working (and filter out anything that isn’t), then go back and do another, more focused round of writing, primarily concerned with plugging gaps and shoring up those bits of the script that feel a little weak.

It’s this third stage where I think we may need to come together and brainstorm on as more of a collaborative unit. A bit like that part in The Starfighters where Mike and the bots find themselves watching yet another extended boring jet refueling sequence and have to ask themselves “Okay…. we’ve got 7 minutes to fill…. what jokes haven’t we made yet?”

4 Likes

Question for the team: Can anyone identify the thing in the top-left quadrant of the screen for most of the credits? It’s like a wire-mesh horse standing on the water. Hard to see, but there for a long time. Maybe a distant oiling rig?

1 Like

I see it. No idea what it is. It’s tiny, and compression artifacts obscure it quite a bit. Maybe it is clearer on the DVD. I don’t think I’d build a riff on it.

1 Like

It’s even there on the good print up on Internet Archive. it appears glued to the surface of the water, so it shouldn’t be an oil rig. Given how clear the water looks, and how flat grey the background is, my gut instinct says the opening shot was filmed in a studio water tank rather than the actual ocean, which would eliminate any full-scale structures, so perhaps what we’re seeing is the top part of the agitator mechanism going up and down just below the surface to make the waves choppy?

Either way, I don’t think you can make a joke about it, since it’s so indistinct.

For a buoy joke, I recommend having Tom go up and float around on the waves for a while as one… He’s got the right silhouette.

3 Likes

Crow: “AWWWW…WHO SNEEZED on the camera???”

1 Like

Thank you, Ansible, the only one who believed in me… :laughing:

I’m just becoming one with the film after a dozen viewings, and have started picking at the tiniest detail.

2 Likes

Does Cave Torgo seem to have a Canadian accent to you? I find myself wanting to riff him calling one of the other characters a hoser.

He’s got some kind of accent! I was thinking French. And the actor’s name is Maurice (meta…)

Gaston was really pissed he didn’t help him get Belle so he threw him in a cave with Lefou

1 Like

I noticed one print at longer length but think we already linked to the right one in this thread. The 1:07 length one with credit names as thumbnail seems the best one to me.

Can’t tell what the object in the frame is where metal structure, dirt or seaweed on the lens.

There are many. Beware the 1:55 or 2:00+ versions, which basically just rewind and start playing the movie again. Also, the 1:03 versions cut out the scenes from One Million B.C. (arguably the best parts of the whole movie).

I should add a link to the Youtube version I used for the timeline.

P.S. I split the movie onto 8 sheets (4 movie segments, each split in half by promotional messages, or as my dad calls them, P-breaks…) This is arbitrary and changeable. Feel free to add your own break-point suggestions. I know @griff17matt has already done so.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve done any break point suggestions. I only put in the end tags I was thinking of and that’s obviously up for debate. I’m fine with the breaks where they are. :man_shrugging:

You finally return to work (with joy and relief I might add after 16 months furlough) and miss everything!

Skimming it, I have felt uncomfortable recently trying to keep up. Like certain people have taken over. And seeing some more of this, it feels even stronger. No offence to anyone but… presenting whole storyboards of every host segment when we are talking riffs feels a bit overwhelming.

Anyway, I better get back to watching the movie more and add my riffs to the spreadsheet else they be lost in the sands of time (now there’s a sand you don’t want to get in anywhere!)

1 Like

I suppose we don’t really have any other place to present our work.

Glad you’re back. Yeah, get those ideas out somewhere - those sands of time can be vicious. I hope you like the Google sheet - it was based on your advice.

I wonder how long we’ll have for this? I’m just about done (with riffing), but I’ve been hitting the Youtube pretty hard for a week. DeepHurting suggested about two weeks, but that’s largely going to depend on what everyone thinks and Ansible’s work on the riffing tool.

I could see this going to the end of July, easy.

A lot of this would be taken care of if we broke out separate threads like mentioned earlier. Seems that mods don’t really care to give us a sub-forum so we need to either get over it and deal or move to separate threads on the “Extended World of Riffing” forum.

I prefer to assume they are hellabusy doing all the things I wish they would be doing, you know, related to real MST 3000!

Stand back, Lesley, Ivan. This job is for amateurs. :sunglasses:

Lesley, in her wisdom, has already told us where go, in The Extended World of Riffing:

Want to chat about other non-MST3K riffing projects, or your own riffing efforts? This is the place.

@griff17matt has proposed our only option to organize this episode under our own power.

Fanficisode: Riffing on The Incredible Petrified World
Fanficisode: Best Riff Submission for Co-Directorship
Fanficisode: Shorts discussion
Fanficisode: Host segment discussion
Fanficisode: Invention exchange discussion

Since I have the patience of a 4-year-old, I’m going to create “Fanficisode: Riffing on The Incredible Petrified World”. If you find that a topic is missing, just make it happen. With Internet MAGIC. And the + New Topic button in The Extended World of Riffing.

3 Likes