Let's Talk Monty Python

How to remain hidden.

5 Likes

This one is actually pre-Python, from At Last the 1948 Show. But right up there on my list of funniest sketches of all time. (My favorite actual Flying Circus sketch is The Upperclass Twit of the Year Show, but I got beaten to it.)

6 Likes

I think they also did that sketch during Live at the Hollywood Bowl, didn’t they?

There’s also this tribute sketch:

(Harry Enfield is kind of annoying)

2 Likes

Favorite Python-adjacent movie is tough. Right now, forced to choose? Coin flip between Baron Munchausen and 12 Monkeys.

3 Likes

Yes, but there’s no beating the original with Brooke-Taylor, Cleese, Chapman and Feldman. (Barry Cryer cameo as the waiter.)

3 Likes

Just yesterday I was able to introuce a friend to philosophy soccer.

12 Likes

I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Yorkshireman?

1 Like
5 Likes

THAT’S a toughie.

12 Monkeys is very, very good… but Brazil gives you that Terry Gilliam direction AND Michael Palin in a rather interesting role.

Which is to say nothing of Gilliam’s Time Bandits, which gives you Cleese and Palin AND SO MUCH MORE.

BUT THEN AGAIN, there’s always A Fish Called Wanda with Cleese and Palin… and I always maintain that the same team’s Fierce Creatures (with Cleese and Palin again) is pretty damn good and got a raw deal.

7 Likes

Brazil is probably my favorite Python-adjacent movie.

5 Likes

What about The Lumberjack Song?

15 Likes

Not for me, it’s Yellowbeard

8 Likes

If you could consider Labyrinth a Python-adjacent movie (because Terry Jones is the credited screenwriter), then that would be my answer, but Jones said very little of his script remained in the finished film. Still, it had a very Pythonesque feel to it in places.

3 Likes

Holy Grail is always going to have a special place in my heart.

And I once went to a Dead Parrot room party at a convention. I left the party in a different shirt than the one I went in wearing. :woman_shrugging:

There was a lengthy Python GIF involving Covid / 1918 Spanish Flu that had me on the freaking floor…not going to post it here, but if you’re so inclined, you should Google search it. I’m snorking just thinking about it!

6 Likes

Something about lupins… :horse_racing:

7 Likes

dum-de-dum-dum-fight

4 Likes

It’s in my top 3 comedies of all time along with Young Frankenstein and Caddyshack.

6 Likes

Did anyone ever play Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time? Lots of fun. And it really is a complete waste of time when you finally figure out you could have won the game at any point by just typing “MPFC.”

4 Likes

Best Python-adjacent:
(Yes, I know it’s the wrong football. Shut up.)

Too bad the guy who introduced it to me was such a… dink and we haven’t spoken in 20 years.

5 Likes

Vewy wuffly.

5 Likes