Live Chat Room Option?

Does anyone think that there should also be either a sidebar or bottom scroll with a live chatroom? I think it would make things more “lively”.

10 Likes

That’d be pretty sweet. I’d get in there.

1 Like

“That’s what he said”. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

As long as everyone plays nice, that could be fun!

4 Likes

I’d love a live chat. What is the benefit of a forum like this over something like Discord?

3 Likes

Permanence:

7 Likes

It’s true. Chat is much more fleeting, and encourages brief interaction. You type out your single thought and expect a quick response from someone else. Forums are more persistent, searchable, and people are more likely to engage in longer thoughts. The format encourages you to write out your complete set of thoughts. Can you imagine posting something this long, on the regular, in chat? The two can coexist just fine, but they serve different needs.

12 Likes

This forum loses a point for not letting me double heart your post!

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea

3 Likes

Chat is good for really getting to know each other spontaneously.

2 Likes

I remember spending a lot of time in AOL chat rooms and IRC talking MST3K. If it’s possible, I think it’d be a fun way to distinguish this group from any other social media platform.

4 Likes

I would definitely like to see live chat.

2 Likes

If a live chat’s created, we would talk about our favorite 'bots!

5 Likes

I’ll put in a nomination for a live chat option too.

2 Likes

I’d be down for a live chat for episode premieres and Gizmoplex events!

3 Likes

Gotcha covered! <3

1 Like

I’m going to add that 90% of what I say (can’t speak for everyone) isn’t worth recording for future generations to enjoy. For comedians/jack @$$es like me, a live chat can also siphon off some of that - let’s call it “enthusiasm” - to keep the forums more serious and focused. If you don’t give us a real chat room, some of the forum channels may organically become more like chat rooms. I’m not judging, I’m just saying chats happen.

Gotta check something. I can’t call myself an @$$, but can I flip off the readers here? (self-edited for the sake of the children)

3 Likes

Hmm. Hmm. Interesting. From a strictly academic point of view…

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m not much for live chat myself, but you make a good point here, I can see how that could be an outlet for energy that’s perhaps not best suited to the forum format. For those who want it, great; for those who wouldn’t likely use it, no harm done.

(I think @Lesley said she was going to adjust the “for the children” filters on here, hopefully she’ll crank that dial down a bit.)

2 Likes

I’ve got a note to re-edit the profanity file again today! Thanks for the reminder.

There IS a chat room plugin for Discourse, but I haven’t done a ton of research on it yet.

Also, just for context, during the campaign I did some digging into what it would take to set up an official MST3K Discord and learned… I am not the person to do that. Discord is its own whole thing and I think it would be better managed by someone who’s really comfortable with the platform, even if that means we don’t have an “official” MST3K presence there. But anyone who’s Discord-savvy and wants to start an MST3K channel, let me know and maybe we can coordinate on that, even if it doesn’t get the full-fledged stamp of officialness.

8 Likes