Local Newscast Anchors

The Sports Guy in your local area, the Weather Anchor who pitches umbrellas, the News Hosts you grew up with. Who were and are the people you trusted and rely on through the years. Was there someone you’ll never forget? What stood them out from the pack?

These days I don’t watch local news broadcasts often enough to really pay attention to who’s anchoring. If they haven’t been working at the station for more than three years, chances are I don’t even know their names.
But the older ones who’ve been around for awhile, I do hold find memories of. One anchor for one of our local stations was the main evening news guy for many years, and he won several awards and even played a news anchor in one or two movies in the 90s (wish I could remember his name, or the movies…sorry :sweat_smile:)
One name I do particularly remember because when I was a toddler I was obsessed with the one sports anchor at the time. I would crack my dad up because when the sports segment would come up I would jump up and down shouting “John Murphy, John Murphy!!” Hahaha

1 Like

When I lived in L.A., one of the channels had a weatherman named Johnny Mountain.

Johnny Mountain!

3 Likes

Fritz Coleman was the KNBC 4 weather guy in LA, and he read my weather question on air back in the '80s!

“Fritz said it would be like this!”

2 Likes

Sorry to do a slam dunk right away, but my prominent local news anchor in the Early days was Jerry Springer.

3 Likes

A lot of news personalities for Vancouver stations, make a bit on the side playing news personalities in shows and movies.
Example: Mi-Jung Lee, Anchor CTV Vancouver
Mi-Jung CTV
and Stargate SG-1…

and Snakes on a Plane…

3 Likes

KTLA is on the TV in the break room of my workplace at times. Mark Kriski and Sam Rubin are still there 30 years later.

1 Like

I grew up in St. Louis. My family’s local news of choice was KSDK Channel 5 (NBC affiliate). Dick Ford and Karen Foss were the anchors, Bob Richards (before his tragic suicide) was the weather guy, and Mike Bush was the sports guy. Mike Bush eventually became co-anchor of the KSDK newscast.

Here’s a promo featuring Bush and Richards from 1986:

1 Like

As a kid, I, too, had Springer as a news anchor. I lost track of him when I went away to college.

After college, I’m several states away, living an existence of quasi-bohemian, early 20s poverty. I turn on the TV late one night, channel surf through the handful of stations as I was without cable. I stop on some show with conjoined twins who are cheating with other conjoined twins or some such shenanigans.

And the host is Jerry Springer - mind blown.

3 Likes

Yep, same experience more or less

1 Like

The D.C. area had some great news teams when I was growing up, I was kind of a news nerd. Far and away the BEST, most LEGENDARY team was WRC-TV channel 4’s Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler, with George Michael on sports and Bob Ryan on weather.

This video is my go to video when I’m down in the dumps and just need a good laugh:

Vance and George are sorely missed…

P.S. The model in the video was uninjured and in later interviews a really good sport about it!

I think it was the watering can that put it over the top…

2 Likes

Frank Bough. From 1959 to 1998, he was the steady, avuncular, beige of knitwear, avatar of cheerfully cosy dullness in broadcasting, both locally and nationally.
You could rely on him equally to read the Football results or engage a minor celebrity in unthreatening chit-chat about the lousy new book that they had a ghost-writer knock out for them in time for the Christmas market.
Until we found out about the cocaine, the prostitutes, the lingerie fetish, the S&M dungeon orgies, etc.
It’s never the obvious ones is it, eh, Peewee?

2 Likes

Jay Jackson is probably most well-known as Perd Hapley on Parks & Recreation, but he was an actual newscaster and has played a newscaster in a bunch of movies and TV shows, both serious and comedic. Although at this point, it always is weird to see him in a serious role.

2 Likes

Just a friendly reminder that FOX talking head John Roberts.

Up in Canada was once MuchMusic Video Jockey J.D. Roberts.

3 Likes

No mention of Pat Collins?

2 Likes

It’s good I don’t live in Vancouver. I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with Vancouver, but I would be OBSESSED with pointing out news anchor cameos in tv/movies. Oh, how annoyed my family would be. (That’s a really interesting tid-bit though. Thanks. It actually makes sense… who would be more natural/seem more comfortable in the role? Does this happen in other film production friendly areas? :thinking:)

1 Like

Honestly it makes a fun game, in the right company.

2 Likes

This is incredible, I had no idea Perd Hapley was an actual news caster :joy:

2 Likes