Location Location Location - or, how many times has Vasquez Rocks (etc) been on MST3K?

Last night while watching Werewolf of London on Svengoolie, there’s a shot where the fuzzed fiend is about to commit a naughtiness and he is standing in a side alley stairwell. I swear that I saw this exact same location only a week or few back in a different Universal film… only I can’t place the film. Ah well.

Got me to wondering, as we tend to talk about actors, directors, otherers who have multiple offences committed against er who have appeared numerous times on MST3K through no fault of their own (hm hm)… what about locations?

Obviously, backlots and studio ranches etc make this a bit easy, but anyone got any deep cuts to share? ROAD TRIP!!

5 Likes

I know Bronson Cave has been in a number of MST3K and other riffed films, famously as the lair of Ro-Man the Robot in Robot Monster. I’d like to get out to see that and other (in)famous film landmarks.

5 Likes

When I lived in L.A., I always took visitors to the Vasquez Rocks and Bronson Caverns. Legendary TV and movie locations anyone can go to!

2 Likes

That reminds me that I wanted to sit down and go through all my favorite MST3K movies and see just how many were filmed near here…

hmmm…

It is supposed to rain tomorrow… and I’m stuck at home while the electrician is here so stuck inside… as long as he doesn’t need to cut the power longer than the APC can keep the modem and router up…

Maybe…

Yeah it’s also in both I was a Teenage Caveman and Night of the Bloodbeast (same monster as well! must’ve been a two-for-one deal).

2 Likes

Oh and Teenagers from Outer Space. Are we missing any for Bronson Cave?

1 Like

Bronson Cave was in a recent The Mads feature as well - The Brain from Planet Arous.

1 Like

Oh yes I love that one!

1 Like

Going by Bronson Cave’s own IMDb page, there are a few more MST3K films to add to the list:

It Conquered the World
Earth vs The Spider
The Magic Sword
I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Also of note here, Killers from Space was riffed by RiffTrax (and in their earlier incarnation as The Film Crew). And Cinematic Titanic covered The Wasp Woman.

2 Likes

Oh how could I forget that one! They make a LOT of Batman references to it.

1 Like

Just watched this music video. Check out the cave at 3:40. Look familiar?

Griffith Park is always a prime location. Every chase scene (Daddy O, Mitchell) or planetarium (War of the Colossal Beast, Teenage Crime Wave) scene takes place in Griffith Park.

Not only B movies, EVERYONE shoots in Griffith Park.

2 Likes

The planetarium was also famously the setting for Rebel Without a Cause. Although that’s obviously not a riffed film.

The road leading up to Bronson Canyon, also was in Earth vs the Spider and Village of the Giants.

Bert I Gordon also used Courthouse Square at Universal Studios in both films too.

2 Likes

Ooh I have one I noticed recently! The hotel/conference center interiors are the same in Danger!! Death Ray and Operation Kid Brother

Ths hallway ceilings both have the same recessed hexagonal pattern and light fixtures

Keep an eye out for the scene in Death Ray when Your Pasty White Europeans are walking down the hallway and in Double 007 when Moneypenny is absconding with Yashuko from the big fight in the conference room

4 Likes