Long May You Riff (aka "Wow! A Rare Triple!")

A spin-off of this thread which was already itself a spin-off:

:man_shrugging:

What’s the longest single riff which produced the biggest laugh? (Not sketches with big set-ups. That would be another thread. Or running gags. Also another thread.)

I have to give it up for:

“Hey, it’s The Nina, The Pinta, and the Mongo(l) Santamaria!” --from The Sword and the Dragon

I seriously cannot think of another stand-alone riff which had a triple meaning. Plenty of doubles, but this is the only triple I know of. It packs in Columbus, the fact that the villains are alleged Mongols, and one of the greatest Afro-Cuban Jazz percussionists and composers of all time. (See link.)

A runner-up would be Tom’s mentioning Was(Not Was) in The Hellcats (?) and then admitting his riff was meaningless flexing but he just wanted the other two riffers to shut up and stop bickering. Not quite a stand-alone since the others had to set it up. Still hilarious, though.

6 Likes

Servo having a famous name for just about everyone seen towards the end of Warrior of the Lost World!

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/ward_e/List501a.html

6 Likes

What makes that so funny is that every time you think he’s done, the movie hands him more prospects. :smiley:

4 Likes

The discussion of Natalie and Zack’s potential future at the end of Soultaker is one of my favorites. Grain alcohol and footie pajamas forever.

4 Likes

Don’t forget its Herculean precursor from Season 5. :wink:

2 Likes

“And that’s the news from Lake Woebegone, where the men are strong, the women are good-looking and the children are above average. Oh, Butch Thompson’s gonna come out with the band and do a medley of songs about cats. Then, Jim Ed Poole will do some…cat sounds. Then, another episode of watching paint dry. Then, Claudia Schmidt’ll come out and try to fill the gap in her teeth. Then, Pat Donahue and Peter O’Strussko are gonna favor us with the story of the Swede who didn’t like meatballs.”

3 Likes

In Catalina Caper, a singer gets her band to help ease tensions among the various characters.

Crow’s riff? “Hey, it’s Gloria Estefan and the Catalina Deus Ex Sound Machina!”

That riff has CRAZY layers to it.

7 Likes

I’m rather fond of Servo’s rambling in the voice of the two newly “introduced” women at the end of “Manos” The Hands of Fate it goes on for a couple of minutes to cover up the NEW extensive driving scenes

5 Likes

I love the upset, then the sudden logical explanation during a crisis situation… Bill’s delivery and timing (and the phrasing of the line) was bliss with this lengthier riff where he points out the difference between “drive” and “go faster”

7 Likes

Tom Servo does a lot of the rambling riffs, I’ve noticed. He did Prairie Home Companion. He did the rambling two women on vacation mention by @Greengreatlabcoat . He also did this one from Radar Secret Service (and the following exchange between Tom and Mike):

Servo: Flash! Footage used over and over! Radar rocked by scandal! Exclusive photos of early morning raid! See the shaken radar moments after the charges of footage duplication!
Mike: Cute.
Servo: Thanks!
Mike: That really was quite nice.
Servo: I liked it, too! Quick little bit, wasn’t it.

5 Likes

Oh, and another one from Final Justice between Crow and Tom:

Mike: Right now, the screenwriters are asking themselves, “Have we had a boat chase yet?”
Tom: “No. I don’t think so.”
Crow: “Well, should we look back at what we’ve written just to make sure?”
Tom: “I think I’d remember if we’d done that.”
Crow: “Well, if we haven’t done one, we should put one in because people love them.”
Mike: Yep. That’s what the screenwriters are saying.

6 Likes

From Design for Dreaming:
Cindy Williams is Twyla Tharp as Isadora Duncan in"The Meredith Monk Story", a one-woman show. Co-Starring Tom Bosley as “Bosley”.

That short also has my favorite riff ever while the crowd is rhythmically clapping, “Give us Cyd Charisse”, but that only has 2 layers and not 6 like the other one.

7 Likes

I would argue that the Johnny Longbow recipe bit has far more than 3 layers, just like a sigh onion.

8 Likes

INDUSTRY!
SCIENCE!
And TECHNOLOGY!
Big men putting screwdrivers into things! Turning them! And adjusting them!
Build your own atom storage box!
Bringing you state of the art in soft serve technology!
Snaps the cap off of any size jug, bottle or jar. And it really, really works.

6 Likes

:notes: The Gallifreyan cruisers and the dudes of Arrakis
They all leave us alone 'cause they know what the facts is :notes:

5 Likes

Okay, help me out here. I get that there’s a reference to a well-known Eighties pop band. Also one to deus ex machina. But what’s the third element darn it? What am I missing?

3 Likes

Tusk.

2 Likes

Well, “Catalina deus ex” sounds a lot like “catalina dressing”. It is also a reference to the 16th century Spanish nun, Catalina de Erauso, who dressed as a man to become a soldier. And of course, Catalina is Spanish for Catherine, so additional references include Catalina de Medici (former Queen of France), and Catalina de Aragon (former Queen Consort of England).

Like he said, crazy layers!

3 Likes

This MAY not technically count, but I have to mention it: Peter Graves’s “He learned too late that man is a feeling creature…” speech from It Conquered the World. Repeating it in full THREE TIMES outside of the theater, and even giving it the stinger spot, it cracks me up. And I never skip it, because that speech is epic.

5 Likes

Among the layers:

• comparing the lead singer to Gloria Estefan
  • comparing her backup group to the Miami Sound Machine
  • referring to the out-of-nowhere appearance of the group to resolve the conflict as a deus ex machina
  • a play on the band name “Sound Machine” with “Sound Machina”
  • switching out “Miami” with “Catalina” as part of the Sound Machine (or Deus Ex Sound Machina) name for further humor

And everything that @TheHippy said.

4 Likes