Looking for old Compuserve peeps

Anyone around these parts from the old MST Compuserve forums? In fact, it may have been just a corner of the SciFi Media forum. That’s how long its been, I can’t remember. I doubt I’ll remember anyone’s name either, but I figured I’d ask.

2 Likes

I was a frequent user of the mst3k scifi forums back in the late 90s, username was Observer (pretty original right?). It was literally my first experience with online user forums and I’ll never forget the zaniness of the members. Wish I could remember usernames, but for example there was a guy who when he hit his 500th post (huge back then) announced he was going to take off his pants and sing show tunes. Turned into an epic thread of people trying to one up each others’ silliness. Fun times :laughing:

1 Like

I remember one member mentioning they always wanted to be a national epic, and getting declared the national epic of Finland, superseding the Kalevala (which The Day the Earth Froze is based on). It was a fun atmosphere. I don’t even know if the archives of those places even survives today.

1 Like

Believe there was a Deep 13 section in the Showbiz forum on CompuServe. That was the forum I spent more time in than any other. Checked out the Scifi forum now and then too and there may have been a section there devoted to MST3K as well.

1 Like

I was active on the CompuServe MST forum from '94 until they shut the lights off. @bcovault has the right of it - it was in the Showbiz forum, sections 13 (on-topic discussions) and 14 (for all our off-topic shenanigans).

I’m still in touch with a lot of the folks from those days. It was a truly great forum.

2 Likes

I was around for a while but don’t know if I was on when you were, and I certainly don’t remember anyone’s names. I had my own focuses on Compuserve and had to split my attention. I still hope everyone from back then is doing well!

1 Like

Hm… are the archives still on the web somewhere? If there are backup tapes out there somewhere, I think Jason Scott of the Internet Archive would probably like to get the data off of those for preservation and modern-day access.

I don’t know about on the web. There were some selected “best of” compilations that some of the members put together back in the day, but that was at least 15 years ago. I’ll dig through my stuff, see if I still have anything.

1 Like

I was around several of the Compuserve forums back in the day. I think I went by MadHatter in most of them. (TSFILOCB in chat, but that’s another story.) I know was on the Sci-Fi forums and the cartoon forums and The Church of the Bunny forums. Not 100% sure about the Comedy Channel forums. I wasn’t a regular, anyway.

1 Like