Looking forward to 1304 Munchie

Looking forward to May 27th a new episode we have not seen yet! Munchie is ripe for riffing Hope it’s another Emily episode!

10 Likes

My God, found something out. I knew Munchie was a sort of sequel to Corman’s Gremlin rip-off Munchies… (which, by the way, was directed by the editor of Gremlins)

But Munchie itself has a sequel…

They couldn’t even get Dom Deluise. They got “Johnny Fever” Howard Hesseman (a fine enought actor but… why?).

7 Likes

(Quick clarification: Tina Hirsch was the editor of Gremlins, not the director.)

I made the mistake of watching all three of these movies back to back. There is ZERO connection between Munchies and Munchie. It was just an attempt to cash in on the name, but the target audiences are significantly different so I don’t know what they were really thinking. Probably something like “all we need is 1000 VHS sales to make a profit, so while there won’t be repeat business from upset customers we can still trick 1000 of them with the name alone.” Of course that does not explain the existence of Munchie Strikes Back.

5 Likes

Oops, yep, that’s what I meant.

3 Likes

It’s pretty much certain to be a Jonah episode, but I think he’s the right host for it anyway. These kinds of movies crush his soul just right.

9 Likes

Because the previous movie had Loni Anderson and they felt obliged to cast another WKRP actor?

5 Likes

THEN GET GORDON JUMP!

4 Likes

Munchie is the one I’ve been looking forward to the most! Though Demon Squad, The Mask, and The Bubble all really interest me.

11 Likes

The Mask with Jim Carey? No no, don’t tell me, I’d rather think it’s that.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think Jonah has made it very clear from his interviews in the past month that Munchie is one of his episodes. It’s looking very likely that Doctor Mordrid will be the next riff we see from Emily.

I think Jonah let slip that Demon Squad will be Joel’s first episode during the Den of Geek interview, but it’s almost inaudible when he says it.

8 Likes

Do you have a link to that interview?

1 Like

At 18 minutes when Demon Squad comes up Jonah audibly says “That’s…episode, yeah.” But the interviewer is talking over him when he says it so it’s difficult to make out the rest. To my ears it sounds like he’s saying “That’s a Joel episode, yeah.” but that might be my ears hearing what they want to hear.

8 Likes

Listened through headphones, and it does sound like he’s saying “Joel episode, yeah”

4 Likes

Given all the “hype” about Munchie from y’all, I get the feeling it will be a letdown of a movie.

I’m sure the episode will be fine as ever, but y’all are just setting the movie up to not deliver in the badness.

Then again, I enjoy watching Manos unriffed.

6 Likes

To properly introduce and establish her like prior hosts, having some continuity is best. I’m of the belief Munchie (1992) is an Emily Episode. Her temperment and personality truly accentuate juvenile material. Her last tour is evidence of that. She is so lowkey to permit the insanity to take central stage even more than Jonah. Also Kelsey’s Crow feels a natural for the movie. I sense Joel will give Emily two in a row much as he did Jonah earlier in the season. What hands me hesitation is Emily having only 4 episodes. With that said, she to be a host needs the spotlight and consecutive episodes is the best way to do that.

1 Like

Oohhhh squeeeee! I was super jazzed when they announced Doctor Mordrid (I’ve seen it several times) and now you’re telling me it might be an Emily episode? Oh my giddy aunt this is delightful news!

4 Likes

Somewhere there’s a thread where I watch all the Munchie movies back to back and come back with a short report. It’s basically “these movies are not good, but they are not extremely bad.” I think the pain the cast and crew felt was with the writing process. Munchie is meh to watch but if you have to re-watch and dissect each ten-second segment, and can’t move on until you’ve written a handful of joke candidates, it’s a sincere form of torture.

4 Likes

In my review of Munchie I believe I called it “Like a really stupid episode of The Wonder Years with the Great Gazoo as a side character.”

I stand by that assessment.

10 Likes

I haven’t watched any trailers for any movies in the new season yet. Though I did give in enough to read a short review or brief plot summation here and there. My preference is to go in as cold as possible. Just as I would have in those bygone Comedy Central days. :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Gracias!

2 Likes