Loved Joel's Retro Theater Entry Sequence & SOL Bridge

Just have to say … I absolutely loved the fact that Joel’s SOL Bridge and theater entry sequence was designed to match the SOL and sequence from his time on the show. They got it right down to the sounds each door made as they went down the tunnel. :slight_smile: It was a nice tip of the hat to the old days. Thanks and well done!

37 Likes

Agreed. I was already happy to see the background but you should have seen my smile when I saw the door sequence!

17 Likes

Same here. The details they got down for Joel’s S.O.L. were on point! Even the lights going off when they had “MOVIE SIGN!” was just like you’d remember them. It’s good to see the ol’ S.O.L. return along with Joel (and J. Elvis’ Servo) in the modern age of Widescreen/HD. That, as well as the movie, great riffs and skits that came with this recent episode.

This may not ever happen, but if Mike were ever to return to MST3K, I’d be curious to see the recreation of his S.O.L. from the later seasons brought into present day.

16 Likes

It’d be the most ginchy of easter eggity if Mike’s return was Film Crew themed.

6 Likes

I know its probably not in the cards, but it would have been such a delight if they could have gotten Trace to do some of the VO work for that episode. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

i honestly didn’t even notice it at first because i’m so used to the old backgrounds, it just felt normal. i loved it!

5 Likes

It brought a tear to my eye! I’m glad they went the extra mile with it

4 Likes

That’s thanks our uber-talented artists Jeff Delgado and Gary Glover! Jeff painted the background plate and all the doors, and Gary did a touch-up pass on the plate. It all came together beautifully!

27 Likes

Yeah, I was geeking out hard when I saw the original doorway sequence recreation!

And I was very impressed how well the original set recreation matched the physical one!

Just a great job all around. :smiley:

12 Likes

And I said it in another thread, but it bears repeating… that’s kind of a cool benefit of doing the show with green screen sets. I don’t know what the actual numbers are like, but I can only imagine that the time and cost of rebuilding the original SOL would have been too prohibitive without it.

11 Likes

I estimate 50 bux in lumber and falderal.

3 Likes

Did I scream geekily and wave my arms all about when I saw those retro aesthetics?

You’d best believe I did.

This. Flipping. Show. :smiley:

8 Likes

Even as I must preface this by saying that it might not ever happen, but that’d be something fantastic to see.

Although the film rights might prevent a similar recreation of the door sequence from MST3K: The Movie, I have to say, I’d have to wonder what the recreated movie door sequence would look like…

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered what that speckled surface for the Joel-era SOL bridge ‘desktop’ was. And I wonder what ever happened to it. So much stuff happened on it that it’s a piece of show history. I know BBI had a big storage area where they kept a lot of the props and costumes, but when the show was cancelled the second time I assume most of that stuff literally got tossed in the trash. :frowning: I assume the Joel Era SOL set got the same treatment.

4 Likes

There’s gotta be an auction list somewhere. Maybe someone owns it now.

3 Likes

Personally I always wondered who ended up with the original Hexfield View

2 Likes

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/satnews/ebaysold.html

2 Likes

I was hoping we’d have a number of auction participants on the forums but when I asked around last fall not much came up—there are a few cool things in there, though.

6 Likes

Absolutely worth their efforts! Greatly appreciated and was a perfect merging of old with new. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Of course they brought back Joel’s doors! I was so happy when they opened!

4 Likes