Lurid Pulp Covers

I thought it would be fun to post some pulp covers like we have been other art. I’ll post a few to start.

And my current favorite…

11 Likes

I always preferred the covers of the Doc Savage reprint books to the actual pulps, but maybe because it features the version of Doc I like best. Some examples:

7 Likes

I love pulp magazine artwork. It’s usually a lot better than the stories inside. I’ve got a book of Margaret Brundage art, and it is awesome.

5 Likes

As a fan of X Minus One, I would be remiss to not include some Astounding Science Fiction covers…

“DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!”

8 Likes

Oh wow, Amazing Stories had some great covers!

8 Likes

Every now and then I see posters of some of these, but I can’t buy any because then I’d have to buy all of them. We’re short on wall space as it is!

3 Likes

Here’s an MST3K connection…

2 Likes

My dad had a complete slide show (as in actual slides in the “kerchunk” carousel projector) of Amazing Stories coverart that he’d present at conventions. One glorious year, the legendary Sam Moskowitz came to the show and took over narrating, talking about almost every cover and the making of that particular issue.

One of my dad’s biggest lifelong regrets was not having a tape recorder handy that day to preserve that talk.

6 Likes

Queen yoinked this one for their News of the World album cover.

7 Likes

Indeed they did!

5 Likes

Did a double take when I saw that one…

1 Like

I always kinda wonder about these mags… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Judging by the bylines, that dude deserves what he’s getting on those covers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

These pulp covers were quite a goldmine for album cover ideas, it seems.

weasels

7 Likes

I can see someone turning those pulp covers into a ttrpg

3 Likes

That dude has some bad luck.

1 Like

Williamson wrote a sequel to the cover story. The protagonist of the following year’s " …And Searching Mind", later republished as The Humanoids, is Doctor Clay Forester.

3 Likes

I think that’s just a coincidence because Dr. Clayton Forrester is the main character in the 1950s War of the Worlds film.

1 Like

I know, but I was stuck with that mental image when I read it.

1 Like

Noooo spr- ok, one spring.

8 Likes