Lurid Pulp Covers

I can just imagine a kid who’s been reading Boy’s Life to look at these covers and think “is this what I have to look forward to when I grow up? Can I …not be a man?”

4 Likes

Sorry son, but having your flesh ripped by hordes of unlikely animals is part of becoming a man. In my case, ring-tailed lemurs ripped my flesh. And they had switchblades.

3 Likes

Adding “fear for my safety” to the list of reasons kids want to transition…

4 Likes

Some more Raymond Chandler…

4 Likes

And some Dashiell Hammett.

4 Likes

And used as a riff numerous times on MST3K.

3 Likes

Geez, walking in at just the wrong moment and you’re putting that on the cover?

3 Likes

So many cool monsters back in the day.

3 Likes

This Astounding Stories cover has always astounded me, but not for the reasons one might think.

At the Mountains of Madness is arguably Lovecraft’s best work. A creepy, claustrophobic story with just the right pacing and sense of “otherness” throughout, building up to a terrifying climax… which the magazine gives away with the cover illustration.

Lovecraft probably wore a hole in his desk from pounding his head against it.

3 Likes

Very nice selection. For those, like me, who are into this kind of thing, I do a daily post (with MSTish commentary) on Twitter as part of my long-running (probably too long) Repurposed Pulp Project.

Twitter handle is @scottclevenger, and I serve up a cafeteria-style bounty of Sci Fi, Detective, and Horror pulps, along with frequent cameos by faces that will be familiar to this community, namely Japanese kaiju and tokusatsu TV series characters.

1 Like

I have to question why this dress came with melon halves…

2 Likes

We aren’t posting lurid enough covers, damn it!

4 Likes

Standard edition space wear for the period.

1 Like

The little blurbs are just as fun as the images. “On camera they violated the Code of Decency. Off camera they violated each other.” :rofl:

How is that not the intro to an Ed Wood film?

2 Likes

Yeah, the blurbs are my favorite part. “She did her best work after five.”

1 Like

That looks more Egyptian than Greek…

2 Likes

I wonder if these books got as explicit as the covers suggested?

2 Likes

Well, some early Greek art does look really Egyptian, but somehow I doubt they knew that.

1 Like

I have no idea what is happening anymore.

4 Likes

You can just see some cigar-champing doughy guy in a suit slamming his fist on the desk. “These classic books will never sell like that. Put some skin on the cover to get 'em moving.”

2 Likes