M. Waverly and Growler Appreciation Thread (it can also be a fan club of some sort)

We all love Crow T. Robot, Tom Servo, GPC, and Cambot. But there’s just one problem with those guys. They’re too overrated. So why not give Jonah Heston’s bots we met during the Netflix days second chances and deserve more love? So with that, welcome to this fan club-like thread.

16 Likes

Overrated? Hardly! BUT…I do agree that M. Waverly and especially Growler are deserving of love. I definitely would like to see them more (and Tom & Crow not be so threatened by them).

10 Likes

Love Growler and Waverly! I hope we get more scenes with them in Season 13.

9 Likes

I love them too. But I do hope they remain “side” characters. Having more than two bots in the SOL seems a bit too crowded, especially if they are present for every segment outside of riffing. I also hope they don’t get in the audience and riff as well, having the dynamic of 3 voices is a good balance when telling who’s riffing what. Maybe a special riff here and there where they enter into the theater and say something funny.

How they incorporate the new bots is vital to their reception, and I think that’s why Crow and Servo bully them.

5 Likes

Growler is based explicitly off of Rowlf, who was Jim Henson’s favorite Muppet (seriously!) . Definite winner!

7 Likes

I wonder what they get up to in the theater after GPC drops Waverly off and Growler comes in to meet him. I hope that eventually gets explained.

4 Likes

G and W are the Wesley Crusher and Tasha Yar of the new generation, Cousin Olivers, the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, the Merry and Pippin, Fonzie and the shark, the… well you get the idea. Second fiddles behind the cannons of Servo and Crow. First out the airlock when the revolution comes. Shame really, they’re quite likeable in all other respects.

7 Likes

I’m hoping that we not only get more M. Waverly and Growler in Season 13, but that they figure into the Gizmoplex live shows (and maybe even the shorts).

I love M. Waverly and ESPECIALLY LOVE Growler!

6 Likes

Today’s backer update confirmed that they’ve wrapped filming on all of Waverly and Growler’s scenes. Can’t wait to see where they show up this season.

5 Likes

I too saw that, and I’m more than happy!!!
snickers And I’m not gonna lie, but Growler sticking his head out reminds me of a giraffe sticking its head out trying to eat my head. I know, I have weird thoughts.

4 Likes

G and W chucked in boxes and piling up in the corner, that’s what I want to see!!!

3 Likes

I’m a huge M. Waverly fan, is all I’m sayin’.

[Editing to add a link to the evidence…]

4 Likes

mst3k events

This was taken from an image from one of the earlier Kickstarter updates.

We need that Growler & Waverly’s Original Amateur & Cosplay Night!

6 Likes

It’s too soon to believe, but THAT I want!!!

2 Likes

Holy moly yes! And what if that meant that only cosplay of M. Waverly and/or Growler would be allowed? Sweet!

All right, I’m kidding; an M. Waverly-and-Growler hosted cosplay night would suffice.

4 Likes

I would also accept Waverly and Growler breaking out various cosplay outfits over the course of an evening.

We ain’t picky.

3 Likes

“M. Waverly shutting down!” instantly became one of my all-time favorite lines from the series and I can’t rationally explain why.

5 Likes

I might care about them more if they actually had ever taken any time at all to say where they came from, what they were doing there, or literally ANYTHING except how the show handled them. W&G just show up. No explanation. No introduction. Nothing. So I care about them in exact proportion to how much the show has bothered to establish them … which is to say not at all. I can’t appreciate characters that haven’t earned a position in the narrative.

1 Like

I see your point but for my part I have faith that we’ll come to understand their purpose(s) over time . . . . And we are at least told that they are Jonah’s attempts to build new “robot friends” and that Tom and Crow are decidedly NOT impressed.

What about the whole GPC carrying some kind of box in and out of each experiment in S11 and S12? Similarly unexplained and not established. I’m sure you similarly don’t care, which is fair.

1 Like

sheds a single tear with a sad face

1 Like