Mac And Me

This is a great article on how, and why they made the movie Mac and Me.

15 Likes

If you ever wanted to visit where they filmed Eric and Mac racing down the road with the FBI agents chasing them.
I was able to find it on Google Maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/jng7BHcbctUG8ETA7

8 Likes

I need to do a back-to-back watching deathmatch between Mac & me and Nukie, to see which is the lousiest rip-off of E.T.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to toss Pod People in there. It was a horrible French-Spanish horror movie that got turned into an ET Ripoff at the last minute.

7 Likes

Nice find! Pretty cool article on why it was made. I wonder if “No Retreat, No Surrender” had a similar idea. Its hard to think of either movie without thinking about McDonald’s.

6 Likes

It’s good to know the director was at least trying to do something good, but have you seen the real ending? It’s crazy dark.
Apparently it didn’t screen well with US test audiences, and why any director thought this was a better ending for a kids film I’ll never know.

6 Likes

Does any movie that claims to be coming back for a sequel in the ending credits, cursed not to have one? I can think of two movies that did that off the top of my head, Mac and Me and Carnival Magic, neither did well or had a sequel.

7 Likes

The film that drew me into MST3K on Netflix was Mac & Me, because I remembered watching it in the early 90s when I was barely 10 years old. I knew it was pretty awful, but I could clearly remember one scene, it had stuck with me FOR LIFE. The scene in question? The end credits claiming “we’ll be back” - literally the shot you posted.

6 Likes

I have a secret, I was twelve back in 1988 when it came out, and I liked the movie and used to watch it on VHS all the time.

7 Likes

BB vs WCL

10 Likes

And Meatballs II.

4 Likes

I legit always wondered why the aliens kidnapping two human kids at the end was handled so cheerily!

5 Likes

It’s genuinely decent from a number of standpoints, if I’m being totally honest. Directing, action sequences, use of extras, cinematography.

I feel like it was the Coke/McDs love fest combined with that script (kid drowning, grocery store shootout, massive power drill - seriously why did they even own that- through the wall and almost into the kids head) that probably got it such ire. All stuff that I never cared much about as a kiddo, for sure.

4 Likes

Look what somebody found!

6 Likes

There’s a copy of this on Youtube too:

7 Likes

Excellent! I will add it to the Club MST3K “Other Vids” section.

4 Likes

I wonder if McDonald’s would ever pay to have them reboot this or to actually make a Part 2?
We could see Mac now as an overweight 38 year old adult working the drive through at 2am at McDonald’s. Life hasn’t been very kind, from his low paying job, high calorie Coke diet, and the lack of healthcare. He’s now a type II Diabetic and the ER doc says if he doesn’t stop drinking Coke, and start take his medicine that he can’t afford they will take his foot. The rest of his family is homeless in the mine in the desert, they made a little money on the talk show scene for awhile at first until his father blew all the families money on Coke. They are now dependent on what little money Mac makes and what money they can make mining Silver out of the mine in the desert North of Horse City. Mac and Eric keep in touch, usually around the holidays and Eric was able go to College, but is saddled with so much college debt he can’t move out from his Moms house. His Mom who was retired from working at Sears lost her retirement when the company went under, and hasn’t been the same since Michael never came back from Iraq. They all try to make ends meet on her Social Security check. Eric and Debbie used to have a thing but broke up after she wouldn’t stop using her Only Fans account to make money. Eric didn’t like her using it, but money is money she claimed. No one has heard from Courtney in years after her Meth habit, we all hope Courtney got the help she needs. Everyone looks back to the good old days of the 1980’s when things were better. So you know just the average American Dream.

2 Likes

It STINKS!

6 Likes

Add another McDonald’s dance scene and they might. For some extra terror how about having Mac forced to dress as Ronald for birthday parties in the play house.

Anybody good with computers that can create Mac as a clown? Now I’m curious.

2 Likes

mac_mcdonald

Let’s not, and say we did.

8 Likes