Magic Voice

To paraphrase Leeza Gibbons, “Magic Voice. Who is she? What is she? Where does she come from?” What’s her story? When did she start appearing and when did it end?

4 Likes

The MST3K Fandom’s got a lot of the 411 covered for Magic Voice:

4 Likes

First appearance was in 106-The Crawling Hand (first of the national run with Joel introing instead of Clay and Larry). Last was 905-The Deadly Bees…but by that point they had been phasing out using Magic Voice anyway.

5 Likes

And why did Magic Voice’s voice keep changing? And why did it sound like Pearl after a while?

2 Likes

Yeah… I caught that. My favorite use of her? The Atomic Brain (1963). The banter between Magic Voice and Bradford Dillman sticks out.

3 Likes

What’s neat about that Magic Voice segment from The Atomic Brain is that I think it’s the only host segment that doesn’t feature a human host or any of the Bots.

7 Likes

Except for that one time when Magic Voice sounded uncommonly male…

2 Likes

Correct. Nothing but the set and the voices.

1 Like

Hercules Against the Moon Men (1964) is one of her best uses. Her play-by-play of Tom and Crow leaving home and the narration of the Malaysian Booby Trap Illusion play with the imagination filling in and amplifying what’s there.

7 Likes

“Joel, do something! I hate these clowns and I don’t exist.”

7 Likes

“I just met you a few seconds ago and you’re already really yucky.”

3 Likes

I always considered Magic Voice to be one of the bots, she just wasn’t seen in every episode or mentioned a lot like Cambot. She even became an energy being at the end of Laserblast along with everyone else.

6 Likes

“Of course every blissful second with you is like an Apple of Gold Joel.”

4 Likes

There’s also the first segment in Fire Maidens from Outer Space where Joel and the Bots are having a posture contest. After Crow says, “Forget the crown,” they all leave. Timmy sneaks in, and Magic Voice says, “Who are you? What’s that? Cambot, no!” Timmy attacks Cambot, and then the next scene you see Joel facing the camera asking which one of them broke Cambot. Then Crow introduces Timmy. “I prayed for a friend, and he came! His name is Timmy!”

I would love for Magic Voice to return sometime, and since Mary Jo is here, she could voice her again. That’s just my wish.

6 Likes

Mine too. It would yield instant nostalgia and varying options to the experiments. Having a disembodied voice has its advantages. Strangely I have a vision of Jonah falling in love with Magic Voice. Jonah’s naive vulnerability and sweetness tailors him to fall head over heels with a voice. Emily and Magic Voice might turn best friends and annoy the bots. Again ideas I’ve had in recent years.

6 Likes

I would love a Magic Voice appearance, and there would be so many great ways to go with it.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it be fitting if when Joel returns in Season 13 Magic Voice does too? They were linked together.

3 Likes