#MakeMoreMST3K Weekly Update, August 9-13: Gamera is really neat!

Just a question based on one of the lines in this Update.

“To make up for it, the Gamera Writers’ Room won’t be riffing a short.”

So I know that the shorts aren’t intended to be literally streamed with the movies (that they’re intended to be shown in-between movie events), but I still found this statement odd, because it implies a few things (which could be a misunderstanding on my part).

First, it seems to imply that each movie has its own “Writers’ Room”. It also implies that each short doesn’t have its own Writers’ Room (or at a bare minimum, that they don’t have their own dedicated Writers’ Room and are using the room for each movie. This means that even if the shorts aren’t directly linked to the movies, they are connected internally as part of the writing process.

My concern here is that if the Gamera Writers’ Room isn’t riffing a short, is another Writers’ Room going to riff two? Admittedly, this would concern me more if there were only 12 movies, because that might imply we’ll only get 11 shorts. But then I remembered we’re actually getting 13 movies, so it would make sense that one of the movie teams doesn’t riff a short (and in theory, this would have happened anyway even if they were able to edit Gamera).

Thus, my question is just to confirm that this is what has happened, and that one Writers’ Room was always going to be “short-less” as it were, and since Gamera must remain unedited, that’s the team that won’t be riffing a short. My bigger fear is that they might try and say “Well, since Gamera is so long, we’re not doing a short for that one, and the holiday special being a bonus episode was never going to have a short ‘mini-event’ so therefore, we’re only making 11 shorts”, which would technically be a failure of the original commitment.

2 Likes