Mash-Ups Are What We Eat!! 🥔

What makes a great mashup? I think that the truly successful ones render the original versions of the songs… no longer quite so satisfying anymore. Something is forever absent.

A great mashup might also drag you into appreciating a song which you’d never heard of before or never liked. Even if you don’t want to admit it. :laughing:

Anyway, this one always makes me smile. I think that if both the draftees could hear it now, they’d be tickled, too. (NSFW)

2 Likes

Puddles Pity Party, cover-mashing from both directions:

1 Like
2 Likes

I wish someone would mashup the Nancy Adams and Pete Renadet versions of Love from Disney’s Robin Hood into a duet.

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I think the grandfathers of the modern-day mashup were the 80s band Big Daddy. I think they had whole albums of things like “Hey, Virgin!” (A mashup of “Like a Virgin” and “Venus.”)

@TheLurker Hearing “Closing Time” by Leonard Cohen in the other thread makes me wonder why no one’s yet mashed it up with the Semisonic song of the same title. They’re naturals. Not even a mashup there so much as a quick, adroit grafting.

The same is true of pairing up Eruption’s “One-Way Ticket” with Fastball’s “The Way.” Go listen to them in sequence and tell me I’m wrong. :kissing: ~ :notes:

1 Like
1 Like

Talking Heads+Bob Marley+Zappa+Chicago

3 Likes

The mash-up which really DID have fruit to declare!!

1 Like
1 Like

That’s just nuts. I was trying to guess which FZ tune they’d throw in and COTL wasn’t even on my radar.

1 Like

It really helps that Intergalactic is a +20 banger, here’s a few other I like.

1 Like

That reminds me I still need to acquire the Zonkey album.

1 Like

The djumemployed channel on YouTube has got a number of mashups which deserve wider recognition. I just wish that the videos weren’t quite so abundant with Hollywood-type party scenes. It can feel like overdosing on cake a la mode sometimes.

Me: I never had that much fun on Spring Break.

Tom Servo: Nobody did, CLANG.

I think the best mashups are the ones where the two halves are so absolutely unlike each other, when you have a really pronounced contrast between the two. I mean, that’s not the sole factor (there has to be a sense of audio gelling or compatibility, otherwise, you just have two different sounds that aren’t complementing each other).

Case in point…

1 Like

'Nuff Said.

1 Like

:heart_eyes_cat: :mirror_ball: :heart_eyes:

(A break from the all-sausage diet is always welcome.)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, McClintock’s a master. I was almost afraid to add his works because he’s so ubiquitous on the mash-up circuit. :potato: :tada:

I think my favorite of his is the Temptations/Doors ditty. Followed by the Doors/Kravitz one. Which is funny because I’m not a Doors fan. But like I said above, that’s part of the alchemy of a great mash-up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is pretty much only known to fans of Found Footage Festival’s “VCR Party Live”…but this mashup of Notorious B.I.G. and the theme song of the (very incorrectly named) Russian childrens’ movie “Annobin Wap” (The Lilac Ball) has been my ringtone for a long time, and for good reason.

The bit about “sooner or later” in the beginning is from a restaurant ad that became an ascended meme on VCR Party.

(CW: Strong language/drug references)

(this film reminds me a TON of the Russo/Finish MST3K films but way more surreal…could this be future MST3K material?)

2 Likes

If only. :+1:

Always glad to find another FFF devotee on here. :slight_smile:

1 Like