Masks!

MV5BNTkzMzdkMDgtYzAzNi00NzI1LTlkYjctYjJlNTQ1ZTA2NzllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@.V1_FMjpg_UX1024

Watching Hammer film’s Paranoiac with its hook-wielding weirdo in a creepy mask (pictured above), got me thinking about all the strange, or silly masks seen in various media.

Whenever I see a mask, I wonder if the members of Devo were aware of it, have they seen Paranoiac? Did they dig it? The reason I do this is that Devo has a mascot in a mask, Booji Boy.

tumblr_nbo6enjaNc1rd5rz4o1_500

Also, in its 13th season, MST3K will feature its first 3D movie, titled “The Mask”

lTQmIIUg7VdW3F6l3lMkJllX2VJ

To mark this occasion, let’s talk and share pictures of your favorite masks on TV, film, music, books n’ comics or whatever.

4 Likes

I always dug Hamlet’s mask when he encounters Polonius in Branagh’s adaptation of Hamlet.

5 Likes

BTW - BFI made a list of masks in film

2 Likes

As we’ve seen with the Santo movies, masks have a storied tradition in the world of professional wrestling, with some truly wild luchador styles entering the mix.

Personally, I love all the cool mask designs that SANADA puts on display in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

5 Likes

Édith Scob in the classic, Eyes Without a Face

eyes-without-a-face-1

6 Likes

Much has been said of taking a mundane hockey mask and turning it into an iconic accessory in the Friday the 13th series, but I always thought that Jason’s use of a burlap sack as a mask was far more unnerving.

6 Likes

No murderers or anything, but the dream sequence after “Love, Look Away” in Flower Drum Song was really weird and the use of masks was fascinating. This video has the whole song in it, but if you want to just see the dance, start at about 4 minutes.

1 Like

I remember the mask of the Carver from Nip/Tuck freaking me out something fierce…

2 Likes

Safin, No Time to Die

vi034-safin-mask-no-time-to-die-snow-636

2 Likes

Can’t forget about the Onibaba mask!

6 Likes

Disney’s Dr. Syn, alias The Scarecrow

8 Likes

Not sure how much of Art The Clown’s look is mask and how much is makeup, but…

And let’s not forget The Mask

8 Likes

Don’t forget the mask we all put on when we leave the house that hides our true inner self from a world that wouldn’t understand. For example, I just can’t see motorcycles. But, out in the world, I’ll never let on. Whenever I see those window stickers, I give a little speech about driving safety so nobody around me will suspect my little secret. I’m also not fond of springs – but my golfing buddies would say otherwise.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget Eyes Wide Shut. I’ve been in some pretty crazy situations, but those just creeped me out!

2 Likes

How about Frank Sidebottom? There’s even a movie inspired by the character.

4 Likes

How did you know about my mask? Do you know about the skinsuit too? I mean… you know, the one I was born in… yeah…

2 Likes

Oops, forgot Squid Game… sooooo creepy!

3 Likes

gladiatortigrisofgaul

Perhaps this is cheating because it’s part of a helmet, but the Tigris of Gaul design from Gladiator is pretty damn nifty.

4 Likes

But what about all the masks from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask?

masks

I would wear the Mask of Truth… for something.

3 Likes

Yes! And the look from Friday the 13th was likely “borrowed” from the earlier film The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

But I’m also fond of the look the ol’ sack gave to Sam, the creepy little pumpkin-headed kid from Trick r’ Treat.

6 Likes