Mastodon advice?

I’m still using Twitter because I’m quite lazy and don’t feel like putting in the effort to rebuild my network… but it is crazy to be sipping coffee while watching the building burn around me.

2 Likes

I’m on Tribel.

1 Like

Sorry - didn’t see the Mastodon discussion earlier!

1 Like

I don’t trust the management of Tribel, given the very sketchy nature of the founder’s more famous FB/Twitter account. But if it works for you, go for it.

And following - Not that I have much to say either

1 Like

I really hope someone’s warned her about .social. [sigh] I wrote about its issues upthread.

Public figures should avoid just leaping onto an instance without making sure that the people running it can deal with a sudden, massive uptick of account-makers who might only be there because of a particular entertainer. Masto instances aren’t for-profit ventures. Most folks who run them pay out of their own pockets and also ask for donations from their users.

A public figure really should be able to afford their own instance and to pay someone to maintain and moderate it. More considerate to the Fediverse as a whole, and probably safer, too.

So is the suggestion that celebrities make their own instances based on their own websites AND moderate their own communities?

The instances part is probably no big deal - it’s the moderation part seems like a 48 hour a day commitment, unless you want those instances to be no better than mastodon.social.

Or is it that the celebrity is on their own instance and other instances can make the decision to block them or not?

Would be happy to take this into DMs.

Yes. That’s exactly my suggestion.

Pretty sure that on Le Birdhouse, plenty of them already treat social media as another aspect of maintaining a public image, as do many politicians. Usually the phrase they use in their profile is, “Tweets (or account) managed by staff.”

Of course they would still write their own comments and so on, but someone else would have the job of being their go-between. Not so different from how entertainment P.R. has always worked. Not so different than the attorneys at my office having a receptionist and legal assistants. No one looks down on them because they don’t personally let the clients in, or copy all their finished documents before the client signs them.

It would be both safer for them, and more considerate towards instance moderators who are already out there. I explained why.

1 Like

I’ve heard so much about it lately and I think I’m going to give Mastodon a shot, just for fun. I’m @lindsayhall@mastodon.social if anyone wants to be friends … or watch me flail. :grin:

2 Likes

Good luck!

Mastodon.social gets mixed reviews. It’s the main instance, so it’s got a ton of people constantly posting stuff and very little moderation.

Pro: A lot of people are there, so it’ll feel familiar if you’re used to social networks with everyone in one place. It makes it a little easier to find the people you’re looking for, and it’s a central location from which you can connect to most other instances. Also, most searches are limited to the bounds of your own instance, so hashtags and the like become much more useful in a larger instance.

Con: You don’t get the protection of having active mods filtering out the bad actors, so you’re more vulnerable to harassment. Also, the “local” feed (which shows what’s going on in your particular instance) becomes a useless firehose of everyone talking at once instead of a community conversation.

A friend invited me to her small instance, so I’m starting there. I can still follow people (such as yourself) from elsewhere, but I can also get to know the locals where I am. My posts and hashtags don’t have much reach, but I don’t mind. What’s great is that I can comfortably connect with friends and gradually find new people, while knowing I’m safe from harassment and trolls.

It’s common practice to have accounts on several instances, and most apps are built to allow you to easily switch between them. That way, you can participate directly in multiple communities, similar to being in multiple Discord servers or subreddits. I might try branching out at some point, but I’m still learning the ropes. And too fatigued to get overly ambitious.

There are also tools to make it easy to migrate your main account from one instance to another, so if .social turns out not to be the best place for you, you’ll be able to keep most of your follows & followers when you set up a new account on a different instance.

Speaking of which: If you’re coming from Twitter, fedifinder.glitch.me will help you find some of your tweeps around Mastodon. It’s not perfect, but it did connect me to some people I’m glad to have back.

So… Good luck! But if you find .social isn’t for you, remember there are other communities to check out.

3 Likes

I just joined Mastodon’s art server, but until then, I’m still staying on Twitter.

1 Like

That’s what I hear, too. Looks like admins can chop off a segment of your conversation buddies if they don’t like the server they use.

1 Like

All very good advice, thank you! I figured I’d start here while I look around for a smaller instance that feels like a good fit. So far, so good.

1 Like

Meh, still waiting on approval for the MST3K instance.

I’m not going to bother keeping checking one of my alternate e-mails.

I’m sure it’s fun, or whatever, but between the Official Unofficial Discord and here, I don’t see the point much. Might as well check back in on the subreddit or whatever.

The MST3K is fan-run, and I don’t know anyone involved. They might not be looking for new people. You might have better luck elsewhere. You can put #MST3K in your bio and/or introduction post (or search for those) and maybe make some connections that way.

Or not. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve had a good experience so far on Universeodon. I found the server when TheTweetOfGod listed it on Twitter. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I just jumped in before even browsing the other instances of Mastodon.

2 Likes

Within the last day and a half, a whole load of comics & comics adjacent people started on the Hive app including Patton Oswalt & Mike Norton.

Let’s see if the link images embed: TURKULES

Edited to add: nope. Screenshot it is

2 Likes

I’m also on Hive, but not liking it as much because you can only access it via mobile app. I do so much via computer.

3 Likes

Oh that’s good to know. I noticed all the cool kids are talking Hive now but I only do social media on my laptop, I don’t want it on my phone as well.

4 Likes

Yeah, since social media apps are notorious data miners, I refuse to put any of them on my phone and access them only by web browser. Soooo…I am not a part of Hive either, though that seems to be the new flavor of the week for Twitter refugees.

4 Likes