Material that Netflix (and others) Own and Material that MST3K Owns But Won't Use

With the advent of Season 13, there’s a noticeable change with the intro among other things. Was any of this brought about because of legal reasons wrt ownership and rights? Are there things that MST3K still owns but has decided not to use for whatever reason? I don’t mind changes, but I was more wondering why they are there.

As a totally unrelated question, I remember during Season 11 some sort of figure walking on the outside of the SOL. Did I hallucinate that? Was there some mystery figure beside MCVD?

5 Likes

There was some discussion about this in the Santos (??) thread, specifically surrounding the intro. NetFlix apparently would not release the models used for Season 11 and 12, which is one reason it was redone in flat-o-vision. (The other is the production wanted the intro to match the rest of the SoL and Mads sequences).

8 Likes

The person walking on the outside of the SOL was Jonah in the space suit he had been making all season.

5 Likes

It was Jonah escaping Reptilicus Metallicus/his wedding to Kinga.

3 Likes

Which reminds me that it’s probably too late to return my gift. Even though I still have the receipt. Procrastination has always been my downfall.

Anyone need a really cute wood-and-sissal scratching post for your pet dino? It’s a good-quality starter size: about 40’ tall.

6 Likes

6 Likes

As we’ve seen now with the second episode of the season, part of the change to the opening theme is to “generic-ify” it so that it can apply to whichever host is on that day. Also, it needed to reflect the change of venue to the Gizmoplex and other alterations to the show. So it makes sense they’d redo it heavily.

The change in the hallway sequence was, as others pointed out, both a necessity and a desire for consistency. I would have liked to see them do something completely different however rather than just flat drawings of the Netflix era hallway rooms. Another complete reinvention of the hallway motifs would have been more pleasing. After all, the hall had been changed before in the Comedy Central/SciFi era.

3 Likes