Messaging quirk

I do not use the dark background as it is terrible for my eyes. Using the light version, however, the text in reply messages is basically invisible unless I highlight it.

Not sure if this is a simple setting change or something else, but wanted to let someone know. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmm, interesting. I use darkmode, but I switched to light mode and tested this out. My messages have a dark background and I can still see the text. What phone are you using IOS or Android? What browser?

2 Likes

Not on a phone, sorry I should have given those specifics. Desktop computer, Win10 Chrome version 91.0.4472.123.

3 Likes

Here’s how it looks on my PC (Windows/Firefox). Do I have the right messaging section, or do you see this issue only on certain kinds of messages?

Also, try reloading the page while holding down the SHIFT key. Possibly your browser has cached a bad version of the stylesheet and needs to pull down a fresh copy.

2 Likes

Also, could be a chrome extension effecting it. Sometimes that has happened to me before.

2 Likes

Tried the refresh trick … didn’t help. Thanks for the suggestion though! :slight_smile:

I think the problem is the forum expects people to use the dark mode, so white text on a dark background is fine. But if you shift to light mode, the text doesn’t switch to black for messages for some reason.

2 Likes

Hmm, checked extensions, I don’t run any other than adblockers and the VPN. No fancy script kitties or anything like that.

Thanks for offering an idea though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is going to bug me lol. I am testing on the same setup as you, Windows PC, Chrome, and I don’t see what you see. Could you send me a screenshot of the interphase base so I can see all of the settings you have set? I really want you to be able to fully utilize this forum and not have any limitations. And don’t worry, I do this for a living as a Software Dev and enjoy problem solving.

3 Likes

You’re going to have to tell me what an “interphase base” is for me to screencap it. LOL!

Thanks for offering to help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was a weird type-o lol. I meant to write interphase settings. Under your preferences, then at the bottom is a section that says Interface. There are a lot of options under there, and it’s not the most intuitive, I am curious if you have something set that I don’t. Once you send the screen shot I will mimic your exact setup and try to see if I run into the same problem, then find a solution that works for you, hopefully

1 Like

Ahh, okay this is what I have:

2 Likes

While I try to replicate the issue, could you try something for me? Pretty please? Could you change your theme to “graceful” it’s still a light theme but adds a background to the borders of your screen. Curious if you have the same issue with that theme.

2 Likes

Okay, hang on …

No joy …

Though the different background is kinda nice, so thanks for that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:pensive: darn! Maybe try to hit the “reset” button under where you select your color scheme, then choose the light color scheme and save? Unfortunately, I still couldn’t replicate the bug.

2 Likes

Thank you for humoring me and trying so things with me.

2 Likes

One thing I found was a plugin for discourse that may help. Unfortunately you can’t add the plugin yourself, but could ask @ivan to check it out and see if he can add it. Perhaps changing the chat bubbles would help visibility for you. Personal Message Bubbles - theme - Discourse Meta

1 Like

Hey, you’re taking the time to help me! So thank you!

Didn’t see anything that said “reset” Tried setting the color scheme to "theme default, that helped a teeny tiny bit:

Set it back to WCAG Light, and it’s back to what it was before.

2 Likes

Is this only for DMs and not thread replies?

Also, it looks like the light theme was broken in the past, they did add a patch, but it is possible it’s broken again. Light Theme broke with update - support - Discourse Meta

I am sorry that we couldn’t find a solution. :cry:

1 Like

Here is the reset button I was talking about.

1 Like

It’s only for DMs. I can read the forum posts just fine.

Thanks for trying. :slight_smile:

2 Likes