Midnight Concessions - What are your favourite late night snacks?

Me, I like a big bowl of cereal or maybe some ice cream.

7 Likes

The real question is, “what wasn’t my favorite late night snack?”

Too many to name, but alas, aside from an indulgence here and there, those days are gone. I can’t even eat an old fatty hamburger without my feet ballooning up (it’s the sodium and my heart makes palpitating protests) so now I’m boring.

Late night snacks while watching a Riff or Creature Features are now orange slices, walnuts and baby carrot sticks.

I know, it’s not the fun food you were hoping for.

5 Likes

As an increasingly wide adult, and because of my circadian rhythm disorder, I am supposed to avoid eating at night.

But when I was in high school, my friends would sleep over (they lived about 45 min away so we did a lot of weekend overnights) and it somehow because a tradition that at exactly 2am, we would make a box of Stove Top stuffing AND reconstituted mashed potatoes. The reasons why are lost in time.

Stuffing or mashed potatoes? Why not both?

9 Likes

I like having some hard boiled eggs on hand, quick and easy to prepare, they keep for a good bit and are loaded with protein, and if they’re made earlier I don’t have to disturb anyone to cook them.

2 Likes

String Cheese Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

The blood of my vanquished enemies.

So usually babies’ blood.

1 Like

“Whatcha thinking about at midnight, optiMSTie?”

“Oh, you know. Pretzels and stuff.”

5 Likes

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

I bought them, of course. For science.

8 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

legends

3 Likes

So, are you going to regular eat them… or midnight eat them?

3 Likes

I think I’ll “Middle-aged Midnight” eat them, at like 8 pm.

9 Likes

[nods thoughtfully and respectfully]

As a fellow middle-aged “why does everything creak and squeak now” person, I can respect that. Godspeed.

4 Likes

I don’t generally eat anything late at night anymore. When I was in my teenage and college years the answer was “anything that wasn’t nailed down”.

And this is the riddle of late night snacking. When you are young, you can’t afford to get the things that you think would be good to have for a midnight snack. When you are old you can afford anything you want … but you don’t really want to eat anything that late anymore.

6 Likes

Time is a weird paradoxical mammajamma, mammajamma.

2 Likes

These days, usually the fight-that-diabetes combo of fresh fruit with a glass of quasi-milk (usually soy), or maybe a nice wedge of cheese. Not much summer fruit to choose from at the co-op yet, but looking forward to that.

(Never leave cheese unguarded on the counter for even a second, BTW. The pricier it is, the faster the cat will glom onto it. Learned that the hard way. :paw_prints: )

5 Likes

I’ve been called a lot of things, but “the cat” is new.

9 Likes

Can you at least throw the rind away when you’re done and not drag it to your water dish for “infusing” ?

6 Likes

Popcorn. Preferably with goldfish crackers and some kind of spicy sesame sticks mixed in, and some kinda seasoning.

Or 8lbs of pretzels and dip.

Or similar with tortilla chips.

Depends.

6 Likes

My process is my process #art

4 Likes

art

4 Likes