Missing episodes

@optiMSTie Dailymotion ain’t half bad. Props on the suggestion. Pitfall is every 4 minutes there’s 40-50 seconds of unavoidable commercials and popups that keep obscuring the screen invade once every 2 minutes. A normal episode stretches far longer then it should. A superior option to Internet Archive by my mileage. Great advice.

1 Like

Add Quest of the Delta Knights (Which has apparently cleared up at some point, but never saw physical media) and you’ve got yourself a Volume 40! Come on Shout Factory!

11 Likes

When I find something I want on YouTube I just download it.

2 Likes

I use NoScript and AdBlock in Firefox, so I haven’t noticed any such ads over here.

1 Like

I looked last night and Godzilla vs. Megalon is there on the Internet Archive. Unfortunately it seems to be a lot harder to swipe stuff off there than from YouTube.

1 Like

I have to say that Shout are masters at getting rights clearances. What they accomplished with the music rights on their WKRP in Cincinnati release was an epic win for the ages. So lots of hope that they can eventually secure some of these episodes.

7 Likes

Not sure what’s going on with the Internet Archive like that, outside of the fact that there are two versions of the episode there.

There’s one called “MST3K-Broadcast Editions: 213-Godzilla vs The Sea Monster 9/18/1993”; it’s got the commercials and everything. I would avoid that one, since it doesn’t seem to start up reliably.

The other one, titled “Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Godzilla vs The Sea Monster”, works for me just fine. I have it pulled up and playing just fine as I’m typing this out! (Again, on Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript.)

1 Like

Maybe they should tackle Married With Children.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect to see Godzilla on there. Toho’s still very protective of the series.

1 Like

Yeah, unless Toho goes wildly, massively, hilariously bankrupt and is forced to sell their properties in a garage sale, we’re never gonna see any further official MST3K streaming/DVD releases of the Godzilla episodes. Protective to a fault.

Shame, because those episodes are choice.

3 Likes

How did they get the rights to them in the first place?

1 Like

I think it was a case of misunderstanding. I’m not sure about the specifics, but the general gist is that the Best Brains team was led to believe that Godzilla Vs. Megalon and Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (a.k.a. Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster) were public domain films. That seems more plausible in the case of the latter, what with it having Film Ventures International opening/ending credits.

1 Like

All I know is you had to act fast. I got mine at launch because I was really excited to watch Godzilla, and it was like a week later it got pulled from the shelves. Now I have a highly desired and valuable bit of MST3K memorabilia THAT I’M NEVER GONNA SELL!

5 Likes

But the host segments from those episodes will always live on.

4 Likes

The Godzilla Genealogy Bop FOREVER.

6 Likes

In many ways the precursor to Every Country Has A Monster

6 Likes

Technologically, you’d just need a combination of Rifftrax “Just the Jokes” style app with something like the GaryInMotion editing done via a streaming…oy…no, no, it wouldn’t be THAT hard. Well, except the MST3K edits of films are idiosyncratic, so it’d have to be able to selectively play through the movie. Oy.

1 Like

If memory serves, and I haven’t read up on this in a very long time, so I could be totally wrong, BB licensed the Godzilla titles from FVI who…didn’t actually have the authority to do that? Of course, way back in the late 20th century, it was a bit easier for these situations to fall through the cracks. And then for the GvM DVD release, again, Rhino licensed from a third party license holder who believed they had the rights to license permission for other uses…they did not.

4 Likes

Just sayin’ =)

2 Likes

Roman numerals are dirty! :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes