Missing images

6 Likes

I poked around some more as well. Large chunks of the images in the Mighty Fan Art thread are missing, but I can’t discern a pattern. Some images don’t appear inline, but they show up if I click them; others are visible inline, but clicking to enlarge gives the 403 error.

It’s possible they’re truly gone, but my guess is they’re not. I suspect Discourse is similar to WordPress, in that it’s periodically receiving pushed updates from the Discourse mothership, and these updates are sometimes breaking things. I bet this is what caused the previous breakages of notifications and whatnot.

8 Likes

I’m HOPING they are uploading the pictures we used from screenshots to prepare the Gizmoplex, hence making the pics unavailable for now.

As I said, I’m hoping. I’m trying to be positive.

6 Likes

I clicked through a few image-heavy threads. Seems like Sept. 7 is the cutoff. Images uploaded before then don’t appear inline, and all of the ones I clicked on would show only the “The image could not be loaded.” File size and type don’t seem to matter.

9 Likes

Maybe it’s a Logan’s Run situation? Where, after X number of days, material is scraped and queued for removal? To try and keep storage freed for new, incoming material?

6 Likes

It is really random.

I uploaded two host segments worth of storyboards into this invention exchange discussion thread, all at the same time… and most of them are now gone, but three or four, completely at random, appear to have survived the cull.

Hopefully we get a fix…. Or can be told definitively “Mikey broke the server. Don’t you give no matches to Mikey!” So I know whether to reupload them or not.

8 Likes

I’m with @JakeGittes: I didn’t keep copies of anything I uploaded, so if those images are gone they’re gone. No big loss with my stuff, since most of it was just goofy GIFs and hacky Photoshop work, but it would truly suck if the fan art, pets and Gizmoplex screen grabs were lost (among other things).

8 Likes

Whoah! I ‘edited’ the OP on my topic- added a tag…and the ‘missing picture/image’ came back!! :dizzy_face:

I went to my ‘Show us your pets!’ topic to renew my kitty picture but the ‘edit’ option isn’t available on that post (because it’s to old…? maybe since I didn’t edit it soon enough it’s now ‘uneditable’…?) :thinking:

It worked to restore the image on the OP in the ‘Show us your pets!’ topic too

PS I only need 2 more :purple_heart: to get the 25 topic likes badge-free parking, free guest passes available, free cannabis-lots of funny BS :stuck_out_tongue: Super-Secret Pseudo-Private Regular Lounge™

9 Likes

Confirmed—I just edited some posts with missing images (just added a couple of spaces at the end and saved the edits) and the images returned. Not sure how we can get things back on posts too old to edit.

6 Likes

Aw man, I had 32 likes on my Crazy Boo Boo kitty picture :weary: I’m not bothered, I just wanted the badge lol

5 Likes

If the “missing image” situation’s not fixed, I guess we have no other choice but to repost our pet pics, fanarts, etc.

6 Likes

Still no word from the Mads…er, Admins :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just copied and pasted a quote of my uneditable post into a new post and the image showed up :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I saw that! (I’m the OP on Show us your pets). But sadly only the first couple of posts are editable. But that means our photos are still in there… somewhere… waiting to be rescued

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for the delayed comment here folks – I’m recovering from a bit of minor surgery and have been a little low-response the last couple days. (To be honest when I saw the images missing from the Gizmoplex Data Team posts I had a “NOOOOOO!!!” moment.)

I HAVE started looking into this but I don’t have answers yet. There was a recent server change (we are currently hosted by Discourse so we are at the mercy of their whims on that) and I’m wondering if that is related. Stand by and I’ll figure it out!

15 Likes

Attention!!!
Deleting and recovering my post restored the image :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Great find! I’m off to do the same to a bunch of mine.

7 Likes

@MichaelRobertson It locks us from doing too many times in a certain timeframe-I just ran into the wall lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Here’s to the speediest and most thorough of recoveries to you.

I still have my screenshots saved, so if it turns out that you need anything reposted, just give the word. I can even throw in some extra material, if needs be.

9 Likes

Get well soon!

8 Likes